/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Arguments against Durandal being Gherrit White
Posted By: Matt WhiteDate: 1/18/24 2:41 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Arguments against Durandal being Gherrit White (Godot)

: I am not sure about "general consensus" but it is one of a number
: of interpretations of the text. The parts about being trapped and escaping
: could be allusions to what Durandal is going through.

I understand that there are a lot of theories surrounding the terminal. Gherrit will probably remain for all time the center of much contention within the theorizing community, hell, I'm not even the first Matthew out there positing that it may be the protagonist after looking back at the Gherrit White section on the main website. However, the Durandal perspective has always felt the most prevalent. It's even the only theory listed under the Pfhorpedia page for the terminal. This point-of-view is probably only coming from my end, but I felt obligated to give us naysayers a fresh voice, it wasn't my intent to deride any thought put behind opposing theories.

I do think the allusions of being trapped and breaking free are also applicable the security officer on their path to ascension, but I admit I still don't have a connection for the rat that I am fully confident in. It is interesting to note that the Security Officer and Strauss do have a history as suggested by Durandal himself, "Berhnard was scared of you. He never dreamed of using you the way that I do." but we as the player personally never know him intimately enough for me to want to peg him as our rat, definitely more suited to be Durandal's foe.

: The funny (perhaps concerning) part is that Greg Kirkpatrick doesn't even
: remember what the Gherrit White terminal was about. In a 2019 interview
: with fans he admitted as much. Only human... I guess.

I think this is a quite a bit funny, but with a weird touch of relief on top of it. If the past decade of games built on theory crafting has taught me anything it is that some things are best left unanswered/unconfirmed, lest the ball be dropped. I won't lie and say I wouldn't be a little bit disappointed no matter who Gherrit White turned out to be, even if I was on the right on the nose. Maybe "forgetting" was even an intentional move on his part, keeping the mystery alive.

Thank you for the reply, I'm incredibly humbled to receive input from the keeper of sacred knowledge themselves.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Arguments against Durandal being Gherrit WhiteMatt White 1/17/24 2:38 a.m.
     Re: Arguments against Durandal being Gherrit WhiteMatt White 1/17/24 3:22 a.m.
     Re: Arguments against Durandal being Gherrit WhiteGodot 1/17/24 8:54 p.m.
           Re: Arguments against Durandal being Gherrit WhiteMatt White 1/18/24 2:41 a.m.
                 Re: Arguments against Durandal being Gherrit Whitetreellama 1/18/24 7:17 a.m.
                       Re: Arguments against Durandal being Gherrit WhiteMatt White 1/18/24 10:35 p.m.
                       Re: Arguments against Durandal being Gherrit WhiteDurandal_1707 1/20/24 1:25 p.m.
                             Re: Arguments against Durandal being Gherrit Whitetreellama 1/22/24 6:35 a.m.
     Re: Arguments against Durandal being Gherrit WhiteVikingBoyBilly 1/18/24 12:28 p.m.
           Re: Arguments against Durandal being Gherrit WhiteMatt White 1/18/24 10:33 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.