/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 3/1/23 2:37 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core! (Forrest of B.org)

: Aaron can probably share more and better, but he's been using Midjourney etc
: to generate new terminal art for the upcoming version of Eternal that
: includes imagery meant to evoke the W'rkncacnter, that was prompted by
: passages like that "In primordial space, timeless creatures made
: waves..."

Indeed. I find it rather fitting that AI has been used to generate artwork for a fan game in a series centred so heavily on AI.

So, as an example, the query:

In primordial space, timeless creatures made waves. These waves created us and the others. Waves were the battles, and the battles were waves. :: style of Yoshitaka Amano, Junji Ito, Kentaro Miura, Kazuo Umezu, Hideo Yamamoto:: vivid strange psychedelic colors, cinematic lighting, highly detailed, concept art, trending on artstation --v 4 --q 2

gave us:

And:

In primordial space, timeless creatures made waves. These waves created us and the others. Waves were the battles, and the battles were waves. style of In the Court of the Crimson King, vivid psychedelic colors, cinematic lighting, highly detailed, trending on artstation --v 4 --q 2

gave us:

The images pfhorrest posted were generated with:

In primordial space, timeless creatures made waves. These waves created us and the others. Waves were the battles, and the battles were waves. highly detailed, luminescent bloom, vivid psychedelic lighting, chiaroscuro, Raman effect, cinematography by Roger Deakins --ar 44:19 --q 2

I’ve used variants of this excerpt a lot to generate prompts; I’d estimate that around 25% of the AI-generated art in Eternal is based on it. Maybe more.

You can find everything I’ve ever generated on Midjourney at https://alpha.midjourney.com/app/users/377652138567925762/, but you’ll need to be a member of Discord to see it and will need to give Midjourney Bot permission to access your account.

I should note that I have mixed feelings about the use of AI more broadly in society, but I think for it’s an unmitigated blessing for free projects like this. Almost every single use of AI art in Eternal is only displayed once in a single terminal. No rational human being would spend the time to generate as many eye-catching images for such terminal screens as we’ve wound up with. The single exception is used as a level landscape, but it’s only used once, in the very brief level “To Sleep, Perchance to Dream”, so the principle still applies.

AI art could potentially be a boon for small indie games as well – graphics are one area where they’ve lagged considerably behind AAA titles, and AI could help to level the playing field for them. Where I start to have issues is when large game studios, major publications, etc., start using AI-generated art to avoid having to pay ‘real’ artists. That said, I haven’t heard any proposed responses to this issue that I’d expect to result in improvements, but this is not the place to discuss the myriad problems with our current implementation of copyright, so I’ll cut this short here.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Frog Blast The Vent Core!ukimalefu 2/27/23 12:40 a.m.
     Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!Godot 2/27/23 2:58 a.m.
           Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!ukimalefu 2/27/23 5:31 a.m.
                 Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!Godot 2/27/23 7:42 a.m.
                       Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!ukimalefu 2/27/23 5:14 p.m.
                             Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!Godot 2/27/23 8:50 p.m.
                                   Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!ukimalefu 2/28/23 1:03 a.m.
                       Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!Forrest of B.org 2/28/23 8:53 a.m.
                             Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!Aaron Freed 3/1/23 2:37 p.m.
                                   Correction to URLAaron Freed 3/1/23 4:15 p.m.
                                   Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!VikingBoyBilly 3/2/23 4:12 a.m.
                                         Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!Lion O Cyborg 3/2/23 9:12 a.m.
                                   Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!Aaron Freed 3/17/23 3:59 a.m.
                                         Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!ukimalefu 3/18/23 1:34 a.m.
                                               Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!ukimalefu 3/18/23 4:45 a.m.
                                               Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!DuckNextDoor...InChina 4/4/23 2:04 p.m.
                             Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!Lion O Cyborg 3/2/23 9:07 a.m.
     Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!VikingBoyBilly 2/27/23 3:11 a.m.
           Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!ukimalefu 2/27/23 5:22 a.m.
                 Re: Frog Blast The Vent Core!ukimalefu 2/28/23 5:10 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.