/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot video
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 2/10/23 3:35 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot video (Lion O Cyborg)

: Wrong.

Yes, you most certainly are.

(If you’re going to start out your reply by being flatly disrespectful, you can’t expect politeness in response.)

: Everyone outside the story forum does recognise them as duel wielding.

Hyperbole does not lend credibility to your argument. Everyone outside the story forum does not believe this, and I very much doubt that even “most people outside the story forum” would be correct here. “Many people outside the story forum” might be correct.

Moreover, an argument from numbers is not proof that the masses are correct. The masses once believed that the sun revolved around the earth. An overwhelming majority of Americans voted for Richard Nixon in 1972. Many people think Kenny G performs jazz music. All of these people are wrong.

: Just ask someone like Civvie 11, Psychedelic Eyeball or Steve of Warr.

A survey of three specific individuals is not a comprehensive study, and an argument from authority is not convincing; none of these three individuals are infallible.

: They are comparable.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

: For example, Marathon's duel wielding requires you to reload your
: second gun and most others except Halo don't. That's a comparison.

I can’t believe I have to define the word comparable here, but you’re reading its etymology far too literally. “Able to be compared” is not its only definition in colloquial speech or writing. It also means “similar”, the second definition on this page. Which is the sense in which I meant it.

Even the first definition, while saying “able to be compared”, gives two written examples: “An elephant is comparable in size to a double-decker bus,” and “You can't say that robbing a bank is like pickpocketing. The two are just not comparable.” But both of these are also using it to mean similar, just as I was.

For that matter, while compare can mean “to assess the similarities and differences between two or more things” (definition #1), it can also mean “to declare two things to be similar in some respect” (definition #2), hence the common phrase “compare and contrast”. In this sense, your example is no comparison; it is a contrast.

In short, by pointing out a dissimilarity, you’ve in fact proved my point. The two aren’t comparable. Marathon and Halo have true dual-wielding, and the other games don’t. The fact that all of these games are apparently less sophisticated in this regard than a game released in 1994 also doesn’t speak well of modern gaming.

I’m not interested in semantic arguments, and I won’t respond further if you insist on telling me what I meant in your reply. By “they aren’t remotely comparable,” I meant “they aren’t remotely similar.” You may disagree with me that RotT doesn’t have true dual-wielding, but it’s sheer absurdity to argue that it’s similar to Marathon’s. The latter’s dual-wielding is on a completely different level.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon mentioned in Gamespot video *LINK*Tim "Mordeir" Branin 2/1/23 9:03 p.m.
     Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoGodot 2/2/23 3:18 a.m.
     Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoLion O Cyborg 2/3/23 10:16 a.m.
           Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoAaron Freed 2/8/23 1:28 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoLion O Cyborg 2/9/23 1:09 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoAaron Freed 2/9/23 6:35 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoLion O Cyborg 2/10/23 12:13 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoAaron Freed 2/10/23 3:35 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoirons 2/11/23 4:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoBob-B-Q 2/11/23 11:18 a.m.
                                         Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoLion O Cyborg 2/12/23 10:53 a.m.
                                               Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoVikingBoyBilly 2/12/23 1:02 p.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoLion O Cyborg 2/12/23 1:20 p.m.
                                                           Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoVikingBoyBilly 2/12/23 5:28 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoLion O Cyborg 2/13/23 9:59 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoVikingBoyBilly 2/16/23 11:43 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoVikingBoyBilly 2/11/23 12:07 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon mentioned in Gamespot videoLion O Cyborg 2/12/23 10:58 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.