/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Question: Population of Mars Colony before cou
Posted By: CloudsDate: 6/6/22 7:41 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Question: Population of Mars Colony before cou (Clouds)

: Hamish, thanks for helping me remember that data point!

: VikingBoyBilly, brilliant! After pondering this darker question for a bit I
: needed that laugh. :-) Of course, as you mentioned your final number is
: pretty realistic, or at least within the realm of believability for a
: science fiction story.

: I suspect that a sadistic computer was directly responsible for these deaths.
: So, approaching this question like a sadistic computer... actually seems
: very reasonable to me. Thanks for your input!

Two additional contributions to the discussion:

1.) Crude Mortality Rate (CMR) using VikingBobBilly's calculations

Keely, Reed, & Waldman's (2001) "Understanding Mortality Patterns in Complex Humanitarian Emergencies", suggests the use of the following statistic:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK223340/

"In complex emergencies, the crude mortality rate (CMR) is often expressed as the number of deaths per 10,000 population per day during the acute phase of an emergency. Calculating a daily rate has been considered to be appropriate since conditions can change dramatically on a daily basis and the large base of 10,000 per day is used to express events in whole numbers."

To get deaths per day I'll divide 777,600,000 by 90 days, which is 8,640,000.

To calculate CMR I'll divide 8,640,000 (deaths per day) by 7,776,000,000 (total population) and then multiply the result by 10,000, which gives us 11.1111(repeating).

Rounded down to the nearest whole number the CMR is 11 deaths per 10,000 Martians per day.

2.) The 11th Question of the Week

The Seventh HoTBob Competition's 11th question of the week was "What disappeared at a rate of one every five seconds?". I was surprised to learn the answer was not starving Martians. Instead, the correct answer is the following:

"The 24 ships of Pfhor Battle Group Three orbiting Lh'owon were destroyed by Durandal in two minutes, an average of one ship every five seconds."

Probably just interesting trivia and nothing more, but I thought it belonged in this discussion. :-)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Question: Population of Mars Colony before coup?Clouds 6/3/22 8:05 a.m.
     Re: Question: Population of Mars Colony before couGodot 6/3/22 9:10 a.m.
           Re: Question: Population of Mars Colony before couVikingBoyBilly 6/3/22 12:32 p.m.
                 Re: Question: Population of Mars Colony before couClouds 6/4/22 11:16 a.m.
                       Re: Question: Population of Mars Colony before couClouds 6/6/22 7:41 a.m.
                             Re: Question: Population of Mars Colony before couVikingBoyBilly 6/6/22 12:45 p.m.
                                   Re: Question: Population of Mars Colony before couClouds 6/7/22 3:19 a.m.
                                         Re: Question: Population of Mars Colony before couClouds 6/7/22 3:22 a.m.
                                         Re: Question: Population of Mars Colony before couGodot 6/7/22 4:29 a.m.
                                               Re: Question: Population of Mars Colony before couClouds 6/7/22 5:07 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.