/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Impossible spaces in Marathon?
Posted By: UrsusArctosDate: 3/13/22 8:02 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Impossible spaces in Marathon? (Godot)

: Voices in the pillar?

: sheesh... I don't have time for this. Can you just give me the answer?

A very late response indeed, Hamish, but the "Voices in the Pillar" bit reminded me of the Jorge Luis Borges short story "The Aleph"

The concluding paragraphs in particular should be of interest.

"...The Faithful who gather at the mosque of Amr, in Cairo, are acquainted with the fact that the entire universe lies inside one of the stone pillars that ring its central court... No one, of course, can actually see it, but those who lay an ear against the surface tell that after some short while they perceive its busy hum... The mosque dates from the seventh century; the pillars come from other temples of pre-Islamic religions, since, as ibn-Khaldun has written: 'In nations founded by nomads, the aid of foreigners is essential in all concerning masonry.'"

Does this Aleph exist in the heart of a stone? Did I see it there in the cellar when I saw all things, and have I now forgotten it? Our minds are porous and forgetfulness seeps in; I myself am distorting and losing, under the wearing away of the years, the face of Beatriz.

This seemed especially applicable since once could interpret the whole of the colony ship Marathon, in essence, as an entire independent nation of nomads traversing the stars.

While I've gone through enough Absent-Minded Professor Syndrome in recent years I don't recall a mention of Borges on the MSP... or if there is, I guess I'm down with Sloppy Professor Syndrome too!

Beware of low-flying Defense Drones,
Ursus

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Impossible spaces in Marathon?Godot 1/7/22 8:50 a.m.
     Re: Impossible spaces in Marathon?Bob-B-Q 1/8/22 7:05 a.m.
           Re: Impossible spaces in Marathon?Godot 1/8/22 7:22 a.m.
                 Re: Impossible spaces in Marathon?UrsusArctos 3/13/22 8:02 p.m.
                       Re: Impossible spaces in Marathon?Godot 3/13/22 11:18 p.m.
                             Re: Impossible spaces in Marathon?UrsusArctos 3/14/22 4:24 p.m.
                                   Re: Impossible spaces in Marathon?Godot 3/14/22 11:03 p.m.
     Re: Impossible spaces in Marathon?Lion O Cyborg 1/8/22 8:48 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.