/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 1/24/22 4:27 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go” (ukimalefu)

: Guess I'm a wuss because I like to explore and solve puzzles and read the
: terminals. For me, Marathon is not about shooting things.

: I NEVER play above 'normal'. It's not like you get points in Marathon. When I
: did want to shoot adversaries for fun, there's multiplayer, you get the
: challenge of fighting of competing against human intellects who aren't un
: fairly stronger than you. But I haven't play any multiplayer in a long
: time.

Same. While I do play on Total Carnage now only (except badly balanced mods like Rubicon, EVIL and Tempus Irae), that's only because I grew good enough at the games to need the challenge. Other games I'm less tolerant of hard difficulties when all I want to do is have fun playing and winning the game.

For example, all console games I emulate (official and otherwise) I use quicksaves (save states), especially in all Famicom & Super Famicom and certain GBA games because the default difficulty of a lot of those is horrible and not fun. Like Rockman, Mother & Metroid for example.

Sometimes in Marathon if something gives me enough trouble, I'll turn the difficulty down for the hard part and put it back up once I'm passed it. For the aforementioned mods above, I could not get far at all on Total Carnage so I was forced to tone it down. Eternal & Redux are winnable on Total Carnage however, though I'm yet to do PID A1 on TC. (The highest I've beaten PID is Major Damage) W'rkncacnter's walkthrough for TC will help with that.

Keeping to Bungie for the next non Marathon example, there's a reason I abused quicksaving in the Halo SPV3 Tour of Duty: as Viking rightly pointed out when he covered the original Gearbox PC port of the first game (the forever broken one compared to modern builds of MCC), Halo has one of the absolute worst checkpoint systems in all of gaming. Since SPV3 is even harder than a lot of official Halo games, you need that ability to create new checkpoints, especially on Legendary and even moreso on Noble.

Brutal Doom has an interesting example too: it's designed to be harder than regular Doom but certain WADS like Plutonia, SIGIL or BDED are unwinnable on Major Damage, as well as any regular WADs when playing on mobile or console. To fix this, it includes Power Fantasy difficulty for precisely those scenarios: it's the same as Major Damage/Ultra Violence except enemies deal a lot less damage. It'd be cool to see something similar for Marathon when it comes to playing Rubicon with all the fun of the trilogy on Total Carnage with none of the rage. Fat chance though.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”Gopherofdoomies 1/10/22 9:37 p.m.
     Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”VikingBoyBilly 1/11/22 5:16 a.m.
     Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”Godot 1/11/22 8:50 a.m.
     Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”Durandal_1707 1/16/22 6:34 a.m.
           Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”treellama 1/18/22 11:50 a.m.
                 Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”Durandal_1707 1/19/22 4:55 a.m.
                       Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”treellama 1/19/22 5:07 a.m.
                             Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”Gopherofdoomies 1/19/22 9:07 p.m.
                                   Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”VikingBoyBilly 1/21/22 9:08 a.m.
                                         Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”Durandal_1707 1/22/22 8:03 a.m.
                                               Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”Godot 1/22/22 8:23 a.m.
                                                     Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”ukimalefu 1/23/22 12:16 a.m.
                                                           Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”VikingBoyBilly 1/23/22 3:28 a.m.
                                                           Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”Lion O Cyborg 1/24/22 4:27 a.m.
                                                           Re: Fast Spht on “Where Some Rarely Go”Durandal_1707 1/24/22 10:18 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.