/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Any Wolfenstein 3D players around?
Posted By: DermudaDate: 9/21/21 12:45 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Any Wolfenstein 3D players around? (Durandal_1707)

: The trouble with Mac Wolfenstein was that the guy who made the editor never
: released the version that could actually put custom graphics into a
: scenario until well after everyone had already moved on, so most of the
: really notable scenarios were all from one company that happened to be
: beta testers for the app.

I can understand why you’d say that, but it’s not true!

The Mac Wolfenstein community was active fairly continuously from 1994 to 2004/2005. The only reason things finally died down was because most players moved on to OS X. Sadly, we didn’t have Aleph One to keep our momentum going!

Scenarios were being produced right through this period. However, the main community hubs shifted several times. If a player was only familiar with one of them, it would be easy to think that the community had died out, when in fact it had just moved elsewhere. I suspect quite a few designers were lost along the way because of that.

WolfEdit 2.x, which allowed custom art, was released for free about 1/3 of the way through the community’s lifespan. Afterwards, quite a few designers made use of its advanced features. There are actually a large number of advanced scenarios that were released in the late 1990s and early 2000s. As just one example, here’s a little screenshot from one of the better-known ones. This is from ‘In the Wolves’ lair’, also known as ‘Nipponstein’ and ‘餓狼之城塞’. It was made by my friend Clubey, and was released in 2001:

https://i2.wp.com/wolf3d.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/image-1.png?w=640&ssl=1

But there were also designers who paid the shareware fee and made big works even during the early days. The classic example here is Jon Wigand, who was working around the time of the company you mentioned (WolfAddict), but wasn’t affiliated with them. His scenarios are every bit as good as Laz Rojas’s best work. See, for example, this shot from ‘The Oswiecim Operation’ – a scenario released in 1996:

https://media.moddb.com/images/members/3/2034/2033952/profile/oswiecim_4.jpg

I did a quick check, and there are 168 scenarios in my archive that include graphical changes. That’s a little over 10% of the entire collection. Only 15 of these were connected to the company you mentioned!

It’s a shame you didn’t come across WolfEdit 2.x back in the day. I for one would have enjoyed playing a Lemmings scenario! Still, how about this for a spiritual successor to your idea? :)

https://www.moddb.com/mods/macenwolf/news/smurfenstein-3d-demo

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Any Wolfenstein 3D players around?Dermuda 9/20/21 3:32 p.m.
     Re: Any Wolfenstein 3D players around?Durandal_1707 9/20/21 6:42 p.m.
           Re: Any Wolfenstein 3D players around?Dermuda 9/21/21 12:45 p.m.
     Re: Any Wolfenstein 3D players around?ukimalefu 9/21/21 12:50 a.m.
           Re: Any Wolfenstein 3D players around?Dermuda 9/21/21 11:47 a.m.
                 Re: Any Wolfenstein 3D players around?ukimalefu 9/22/21 2:14 a.m.
     Re: Any Wolfenstein 3D players around?Godot 9/21/21 3:23 a.m.
           Re: Any Wolfenstein 3D players around?Dermuda 9/21/21 12:01 p.m.
     Mac Wolf3D Archive released + Help needed!Dermuda 12/22/21 12:42 a.m.
           Re: Mac Wolf3D Archive released + Help needed!ukimalefu 12/22/21 5:50 p.m.
                 Re: Mac Wolf3D Archive released + Help needed!Dermuda 12/22/21 11:01 p.m.
           Re: Mac Wolf3D Archive released + Help needed!Bo Lindbergh 12/22/21 7:10 p.m.
                 Re: Mac Wolf3D Archive released + Help needed!Dermuda 12/22/21 11:17 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.