/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Hang Brain... puzzle.
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 12/25/20 8:52 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Hang Brain... puzzle. (Godot)

: Hi John,

: Good to hear from you. Actually I am at loss to explain this. The Spoiler
: Guide says this should happen after you are teleported back to the
: beginning. So this is most likely based on solo play.

: Jimmy Mitchell's (Placid Pladipus) Vidmaster film shows no ammo.

: Philtron has just posted that this happened to him even before he was
: actually teleported back the beginning. So I really don't know what is
: happening on this level.

: Back in the day I would be all over this testing the map etc. Sadly no more.

: Any assistance on this is appreciated.

Anyone can confirm what's going by opening up Hang Brian in Forge or Weland and looking at the trigger polygons.

I believe that the "secret" in the spoiler guide is simply a mistake. From what I recall about how the Marathon engine works, it is not possible to reenter an area you've already been in and have new things teleport in, unless you step on a polygon you didn't step on before.

From what I remember, items can only teleport in due to the proximity of the player or due to the player stepping on a trigger polygon. Trigger polygons will spread a signal to adjacent polygons, causing items/enemies to teleport in, until the "signal" stops at a border polygon.

So, in Hang Brain there are really only two possibilities: 1) you enter the central room and the items teleport in when you step on the right polygon (or get near the items), 2) you enter the pit at the end of the level, the pit is an item trigger, and the pit is connected by hidden polygons to the central chamber where the items teleport in; in this second case however, the items would already be present once you revisit the central room.

So, the secret shouldn't be possible the way it is described. I suspect that whoever "discovered" the secret just didn't step on the item trigger polygons on their first visit, and then on their second visit did step on them and mistook this for a secret.

Either that or there's some sort of special scripting on just this level for just this secret.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Hang Brain... puzzle.Godot 12/23/20 4:59 a.m.
     Re: Hang Brain... puzzle.Philtron 12/23/20 6:03 p.m.
     Re: Hang Brain... puzzle.Dr. John Sumner 12/24/20 10:15 a.m.
           Re: Hang Brain... puzzle.Godot 12/24/20 10:42 a.m.
                 Re: Hang Brain... puzzle.Philtron 12/25/20 8:52 a.m.
                       Re: Hang Brain... puzzle.Forrest of B.org 12/25/20 8:55 a.m.
                             Re: Hang Brain... puzzle.Philtron 12/25/20 9:23 a.m.
                       Re: Hang Brain... puzzle.VikingBoyBilly 12/26/20 5:42 a.m.
     Re: Hang Brain... puzzle.VikingBoyBilly 12/26/20 5:35 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.