/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Taking the 1rst exo-colony to Tau Ceti is stup
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 11/18/20 3:25 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Taking the 1rst exo-colony to Tau Ceti is stup (General-RADIX)

: With the Doylist explanations already mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I'm
: gonna jump straight to the ideas this post gave me: 1) A "Deimos
: II" was put into place shortly after Deimos I launched out of Sol
: Core, to minimize the long-term havoc the latter's removal could wreck on
: things.

: 2) Proxima Centauri b does get colonized at some point after Tau Ceti IV, and
: it turns out that it was the old homeworld of the Nakh or something.

Thanks for making me look up Watsonian vs Doylist on tv tropes.

I've just been reading Stephen Hawking, and had my mind blown by spacetime. In Earth time it took about 300 years to move Deimos 4.25 light years of distance, Deimos's mass made it take less time than that relatively to the BoBs (I'm using the word "time" in the sense of how long it takes for c to pass relative to the subject's mass. It's important to note that one's mass is calculated by its Energy, which is influenced by both density and movement through spacetime. So by Earth's mass, a light year takes a year for light to travel, but that time decreases for the subject as mass increases).

Deimos was hollowed out, reducing some of its natural mass, but we do know the terminals gave exact earth dates for its departure and arrival, and occam's razor says they would have launched when Mars's orbit was closest to Tau Ceti, so someone can crunch a calculation of speed by its distance of 4.25 lightyears and the days it took by the dates, then it might be possible to get an approximation of their time dilation from earth time.

And it's canon that Bernard Strauss put himself into stasis, so to a lot of them their time on the voyage didn't feel as long as we'd think it would, but it's also canon that there are BOBS, as in "Born on Board" adults, and despite having teleportation, the manual story makes it explicit that they have never used this to warp the entire marathon.

It STILL takes longer than to go to Proxima Centauri any way you slice it... but the difference of 8 light years may have been more like the difference between taking a road trip across the country to taking a flight, or from going to the gas station down the street to the mall in your state's capital (I'm like an hour or so away from my capital). So it could have been more like an "inconvenient, but meh" than a "holy s'pht are you nuts???" kind of difference in their perception of it, and the people back in the Sol system probably care about them even less than the Brittish Empire cared about the Puritan Colonists.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Taking the 1rst exo-colony to Tau Ceti is stupidVikingBoyBilly 11/15/20 7:48 a.m.
     Re: Taking the 1rst exo-colony to Tau Ceti is stupBob-B-Q 11/15/20 12:29 p.m.
           Re: Taking the 1rst exo-colony to Tau Ceti is stupVikingBoyBilly 11/15/20 2:12 p.m.
                 Re: Taking the 1rst exo-colony to Tau Ceti is stupLion O Cyborg 11/16/20 4:48 a.m.
     Re: Taking the 1rst exo-colony to Tau Ceti is stuptreellama 11/16/20 7:43 a.m.
           Re: Taking the 1rst exo-colony to Tau Ceti is stupVikingBoyBilly 11/16/20 12:34 p.m.
     Re: Taking the 1rst exo-colony to Tau Ceti is stupGeneral-RADIX 11/18/20 6:16 a.m.
           Re: Taking the 1rst exo-colony to Tau Ceti is stupVikingBoyBilly 11/18/20 3:25 p.m.
                 Re: Taking the 1rst exo-colony to Tau Ceti is stupBob-B-Q 11/19/20 6:17 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.