/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 2 Stage 2
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 10/1/20 11:38 a.m.

In Response To: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 2 Stage 2 (Lion O Cyborg)

Slowpoking a bit with this response, but you’ve never been meant to jump down into the goo chamber in “Killing the Giants”. I actually knew that a player could get stuck there, but there’s nothing of interest down there and nothing in the level indicating that there would be anything of interest down there. It’s not my style to hide secrets like that – sometimes a pit is just a pit. I would provide a clue, either in the map architecture or on the automap itself, to indicate that there was a reason to drop down there.

We forgot to revise the terminal message for 1.2, though, so that entire upper deck of the map isn’t even mentioned in Tycho’s message. That will be fixed for 1.3. We’ll also be adding a cursory explanation of the switches on the upper decks (namely, that Tycho is installing some sort of virus that requires the player to reset the ship’s systems).

Apologies for that automap on that level being a complete mess – I’m thinking of writing code for 1.4 that will automatically restrict the view on the automap to either the upper or lower decks, depending upon the player’s location. I think that should be doable with the engine’s current capabilities, and should make the level much easier to navigate.

I actually do find several parts of that level to be visually interesting, but it’s certainly not as distinctive as “Aye Mak Sicur”. Then again, that’s a high standard to match. I have added a few more windows on the upper decks for 1.3, which should make them mildly more interesting. Also, the hive section is slightly redone, but it’s difficult to explain clearly in text.

Several levels in chapter two¹ will have purple rain in Eternal 1.4.² And yes, the reference is intentional. (If you split the map file, you’ll also notice we refer to the fog in those levels as “purple haze” – also an intentional reference.)

It’s pretty neat to read these – keep them coming!

¹“A Friend in Need”, “Unpfhorseen”, both “Corporation” levels, and “My Kingdom Pfhor a Horse” for sure, and possibly the end of “To Sleep, Perchance to Dream” and the start of “The World Is Hollow”, depending upon how the idea of retexturing those levels as the player progresses through them works out.

²We were going to add it to 1.3, but using effects and scenery for precipitation both created too many problems. Aleph One 1.4 will have a new object type called ephemera which should have none of those problems.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 2 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 9/24/20 12:34 p.m.
     Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 2 Stage 2Forrest of B.org 9/25/20 1:41 p.m.
           Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 2 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 9/26/20 5:25 a.m.
     Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 2 Stage 2Aaron Freed 10/1/20 11:38 a.m.
           Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 2 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 10/1/20 2:43 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.