/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 3/31/20 9:35 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta” (treellama)

: From the ResEdit Reference: It's actually invalid to use resource IDs below
: 128. Also, because the resources are stored in fake levels in the unimap
: wad, using numbers below 128 can lead to overlap with real levels. For
: those two reasons, Atque can't round-trip resources below 128.

I remember resource IDs below 128 being discouraged (but if they’re invalid, why did Apple allow them in the first place?), but the Rubicon map is what it is.

I don’t know if I understand what “unimap wad” means – the only relevant search result I was able to find with an Internet search was some old release notes for Atque which seemed to indicate that it’s a way to store the resource fork. Are you saying that Atque uses a completely different method of storing the resource fork than you’d get if, say, you dropped a Forge map onto MacBinary, and that this could result in resource IDs below 128 messing up the game performance in a way that wouldn’t happen with the Forge/MacBinary method?

: Someone should fix Rubicon to use valid IDs.

This would be a monumental task, because there are 43 image IDs that would need to be corrected in 84 terminal text files, some of which appear in almost every level (Durandal and Tycho’s logins in particular – almost every level has one or the other, or both). I assume that’s why no one has bothered. If Scott and Chris ever made a new version, hopefully they’d fix this, but otherwise I can’t see anyone bothering. It’d be a completely thankless task unless it were automated. (Perhaps there’s a text editor that can perform a global find and replace across 84 documents.)

Which leads me back to what I was saying earlier: Was the Rubicon map merged with Forge and then converted over with MacBinary? I’m completely at a loss for how else they would’ve merged it. It only seems to use text resources for its MML, and none of its maps seem to exceed the Infinity limits on polygon count, number of lights/platforms, number of objects, etc., so perhaps it would work to re-merge the map with Forge and then MacBinary it.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta” *LINK*Aaron Freed 3/23/20 6:34 p.m.
     Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Aaron Freed 3/23/20 6:36 p.m.
     Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Lion O Cyborg 3/24/20 12:57 a.m.
           Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Aaron Freed 3/24/20 7:09 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Aaron Freed 3/24/20 7:13 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Lion O Cyborg 3/25/20 5:54 a.m.
                       Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Aaron Freed 3/25/20 11:54 a.m.
                             Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Lion O Cyborg 3/26/20 3:20 p.m.
                                   Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Aaron Freed 3/27/20 9:43 a.m.
                                         Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Lion O Cyborg 3/27/20 10:13 a.m.
                                               Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Aaron Freed 3/27/20 10:31 a.m.
                                                     Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Aaron Freed 3/27/20 11:07 a.m.
                                                           Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”treellama 3/30/20 5:05 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Aaron Freed 3/31/20 9:35 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Forrest of B.org 3/31/20 6:06 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Forrest of B.org 3/25/20 12:45 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal 1.2.1 “semi-official beta”Lion O Cyborg 3/25/20 1:44 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.