/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Old browser shenanigans *LINK*
Posted By: Shining RavenDate: 1/29/20 1:49 p.m.

In Response To: Old browser shenanigans (General-RADIX)

: One thing I've been wanting to do for a while is take screencaps of the Story
: Page through ancient web browsers, just to see what they'd look like.I
: specifically wanted to try the DOS web browser Arachne, but that didn't
: quite pan out, so I looked around and came across two browser-emulation
: sites.

This post inspired me to attempt to access the Story page via my Linux box's various textmode browsers for use on the console or TTY.

Links, elinks, and Links2 all perform admirably, displaying frames and bypassing the non-netscape-compliant-browser alert page. w3m makes a decent runner-up, failing to display frames or skip the alert, but still managing to interact with the page - I was able to enter a post here, for which it launches nano, and successfully reach the Message Preview page. Presumably I could have posted, but I wanted to save that for something cruder...

Lynx did a marginally better job rendering than w3m, but it failed to send the complex form data required to make a post. And that finally brings me to Netrik.

Netrik brings up a woefully corrupted view of the Story page, with strange characters everywhere. Upon attempting to enter text into this field, it launches not something intuitive like nano, but vim of all things - and a stripped-down vim with no help at that. I have composed this entire messsage tediously in its mini vim instance, where all my muscle memory serves only to hinder my progress, and the commands remain a mystery. Will this post make it to the Story forum? If you're reading this, then I have been successful.

Linked (I don't dare enter HTML into this text field for fear of how Netrik might corrupt itself) is a screengrab of Lynx reaching the non-netscape Alert page.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/669814521061179392/672198948433428504/lynx.png

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Old browser shenanigansGeneral-RADIX 1/29/20 4:33 a.m.
     Re: Old browser shenanigansBob-B-Q 1/29/20 8:15 a.m.
           Re: Old browser shenanigansBob-B-Q 1/29/20 8:27 a.m.
     Re: Old browser shenanigans *LINK*Shining Raven 1/29/20 1:49 p.m.
           Re: Old browser shenanigansGeneral-RADIX 1/29/20 2:02 p.m.
     Re: Old browser shenanigansGodot 2/1/20 11:36 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.