/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Durability
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 12/21/19 6:04 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Durability (Tycho)

In 25 years I have gone by many names: Beowulf, Achilles, Ness, Parias, Odysseus, Billy Blaze.

Something about all this feels familiar, as if from an old dream.

I'm one of the few that experienced a small part of M1 and PID from the demos on the ye olde obsolete ZIP drive, but that small glimpse was profound and everlasting. My many attempts to get through those dark mazes left me fearing falling asleep in ancient ruins, and hearing the chatterings of aliens in my dreams.

At the turn of the millenium, I got an apple green iMac on the best christmas ever, and experienced the immersive worlds of HeXen and Quake; quite familiar in genre, but not the same feel.

Having nearly a decade of FPS gaming experience under my belt, I went back to PiD and Marathon when they became freeware with the Aleph One engine to finally see them conquered. What I got out of them went beyond what I expected from these humble mac games from the mid-90s.

And then I went to the story forum to.. err... clear up all my confusing, nagging questions about the plot, and I made the jump down the rabbit hole of the first "archaeological" video game story.

In a lot of my favorite games with the typical silent protagonist and a paper-thin plot, I would project my own stories into them (pokémon, for instance, is a lot better for that than when it shoehorns in 'epic' events of some generic moustache-twirler awakening world-destroying poké-W'rks to shove lore down our throats that's been shed of all meaning after taking away the player-driven discovery by leading you by the nose through clearly flagged plot-progression, to just be forgotten after it's all done and over with), but Marathon gave me the joy of discovering, and then uncovering its story. No fill-in-the blanks needed. It's filled to the brim with details and depth and let me experience what a historian feels like.

And between all those times, from first contact, to mission complete, to now, I've fallen in love and lost it, had lost my best friend and found him after 20 years of searching, went to college with bright-eyed dreams of game designing to be disillusioned with what the now-called industry has become, got kicked out of my parents' houses twice, and struck out on my own and living independently with a car and 9-5 job when few expected that outcome for me with my neurological condition (I think you can guess), have been through betrayals of loyalty and stuck to my guns on my core values in the face of pessimism and discouragement, and did a load and LOAD of reading, some percentage of that being on this story forum. It changed how I look at stories and I don't just take them all at face value anymore; the internet has proven that fans (and yes, even antis) can get escruciatingly analytical.

So before this post gets too bloated: thanks, all

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

DurabilityYossarian 12/17/19 10:52 p.m.
     Re: DurabilityGodot 12/18/19 4:54 a.m.
     Re: DurabilityForrest of B.org 12/18/19 8:58 a.m.
           Re: DurabilityYossarian 12/19/19 10:31 a.m.
     Re: DurabilityBob-B-Q 12/18/19 9:44 a.m.
     Re: Durabilitytreellama 12/18/19 10:30 a.m.
     Re: Durabilityukimalefu 12/18/19 7:34 p.m.
           Re: DurabilityYossarian 12/19/19 10:25 a.m.
     Re: DurabilityGeneral-RADIX 12/19/19 1:36 a.m.
     Re: DurabilityTycho 12/19/19 4:52 p.m.
           Re: DurabilityVikingBoyBilly 12/21/19 6:04 p.m.
     Re: DurabilityVid Boi 2/26/20 4:00 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.