/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 4/30/19 7:28 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2 (VikingBoyBilly)

: So you were roleplaying? That was convincing (I still suspect IRL had some
: inspiration, and other games). Very Gheritt White and Durability.

: Can you give me some notes to get in character?

: Don't count on me being timely, 'cuz I got grad-school. Gettling those rain
: mods and mipmapping(?) set up is a whole thing in and of itself.

: If halo 2 got a PC port, I'll try it.

OK. The character notes are gonna get long so you may want some popcorn. And something to stifle laughter with at it's ridiculousness at times as even I realise my narrative ideas for Marathon are essentially all just a Gary Stu fanfic I wish was canon to justify my existence. Most of my roleplay has really just improv based on those ideas.

The BIG game inspiration I notice having parallels in places to Eternal was more planned, but it's semi hidden by using the script English speaker usually don't get to see. It does get more blatant over time in the currently released parts, with nods to the BIG one's predecessor's in Chapter 2 Stage 1. Names of the Stages are provided by me in the outro so you should know what they are.

Background

So this version of Marcus is indeed inspired by real life and other games in places and even a particular TV show from a year before I played Marathon (but started watching the exact same year I first played)

Basically the original human was a man named John Carver who was actually born in the mid 90s but by 2013 after the in-universe version of the misunderstanding with KAP, this one was instead arrested or kidnapped, then frozen cryogenically as part of an experiment to find ways for humans to survive cryosleep, only to keep him out of KAP's hair they never woke him up.

Centuries later, he does wake up as his cryopod is falling apart, somehow onboard a prison ship that only just crashed in Africa, namely hitherho unknown countryside near that Egyptian city I alluded to, and he has amnesia.

Escaping, he meets the Kaminari, Feilus Panthera Sapians in their city a fair distance away from the canyon. Helping them out against mysterious armoured aliens, he tries to make his way back home to a UK/Japanese colony in a fictional province in Canada.

After an apocalypse involving the antitime, which is a nearly unkillable horror made of dead light and pure entropy (long story) that he barely survives, he makes his way back to Africa from the the islands he had to survive on, intending to return to the Kaminari while humanity recover. Just so happens when he was there last he became BFFs with the Prince and heir to the Kaminari throne, much to his stepbrother's chagrin.

Solaris happened to be guiding him the whole way with subtle pushing in the right direction as well as telepathically/subliminally putting instructions in his head on how to do things to survive such as building, fighting etc. as he was more or less average without them. The god himself even appeared in person as himself and other two personalities to directly aid him in stopping the antitime.

He also gave him a subtle psychic link with his buddy, so he could aid his people better.

Now and then he still has flashbacks of "past lives" lived while he was in stasis, where he seemingly possessed people throughout history leading up to his release, both before and after his birth and in alternate timelines. One of those is where he first met his god and helped to reform him after he was angered by his worshippers hurting him with experiments intended to use his power, even though he would have just given it (long story again).

Skipping far ahead over the events of the Kaminari and struggles a group of them of whom he was the 7th member, he eventually finds humans again, many of whom are not surprised that the Kaminari exist, though they mistake them for morphs at first (morphs were created in this universe thanks to a war where humanity was carpet nuked with mutagen infused fission bombs).

I will say that KAP's Kaminari equivalent is part of that group of 7 as well and because she unconsciously reminds him of her, he falls in love with her. His buddy just also happens to love her but he doesn't mind them both having her as he appears to be a similar counterpart. His brother on the other hand who also wants her...well, it brings out John's more sociopathic side, partly defending his buddy. This leads to the first instance of time travel as Solaris gives him what is implied to be a Junction after he saves them from death (and the meddling of a recently made Kaminari AI who intends to force them to change before they are allowed to live)

The Kaminari group intend to follow a Gravemind's ebony keyship out to the stars (implied to be working directly for the W'rkncacnter) and humans want to colonise exoplanets. To this end, John ends up in the military thanks to his Kaminari prince friend's connections and past experience surviving. With those same survival instincts by his god helping him, he grows to be one of Earth's toughest. Most of his duties are on Mars.

However, one of his missions is the Misriah Riots. John is the one who sees on the cameras that only 3 people are armed but his CO is having none of it. He attacks him to prevent him firing on the crowd but is too late to prevent the massacre.

Once the war is on, the CO and his body cast are shipped to Pearl Harbour back on Earth, John to the UESC's contractor who are building the Marathon, namely their research base in Cydonia as court marshalling him for trying to prevent the loss of innocent lives would make the UEG look like monsters, especially in the Martians eyes.

The Gravemind from earlier (consisting of just two infected bodies smashed together) convinces the legions of Hell that "Hey, maybe taking back your home via Mars now is a good idea?" as he knows John and the Kaminari are coming and is trying to stop them.

It's then that the events of Doom occur starting with Doom 3 and then 1+2 afterward, but with Extermination Day instead of the main games in order to sidestep the plothole regarding Deimos. Then ROE begins. Despite making it back, John dies.

An undisclosed amount of time later, he is rebuilt as a Battleroid by the Republic of Thermopylae along with several others, some based on clones of the Kaminari group, who donated DNA as payment when they heard they could potentially get John back. The engineers found his Junction from back on Third Earth, and implement it into him as they had found similar artifacts elsewhere both in Cydonia on Mars and a long destroyed silver city discovered buried under Tycho crater.

John's resurrectors rename him Marcus Jones. (This part was inspired by Kurt Trevalyan/Ambrose in the Halo books)

It just so happens that KAP's rather well preserved body from hundreds of years ago was used as a candidate for Thermopylae's Battleroids. She is renamed Hathor, after the Cheetah goddess sister of Bast & Sekhmet and the latter's practically identical twin*. She takes after Sekhmet in terms of appearance and courage however.

Fast forward to Marathon 1.

*John found out that Hathor was only dipected as a cow in Egyptian mythology because she lost a bet during a Senet match, where she had to take such an appearance for 1000 years.

Some quirks based on Tour Character already

Real life mental instability, amnesia from his freezing and events related to his full mind, acessible after becoming a Battleroid -said full mind kept outside instead of in the Duat by Solaris under Preservation Code QF5F6F7F9SL- may sometimes cause him to waffle about all eras of his life and those he infiltrated as a "temporal ghost" while frozen. Sometimes they are based on dreams he had, some of which are connected to his other lives, others are just the usual nonsense with passing resemblances to other events, games, lives movies etc. that dreams actually are.

The old John Carver, especially 5D copies of himself that did not get frozen (some of which covered in my MARS novel idea) long to also escape the universe and either live immortal in the any afterlives he reaches, either as an invulnerable cyborg or as a semi solid radiation being like David Bowman became in the Space Odyssey saga, with similar reality warping powers as his god, granted as a gift for his faith, enabled by both large quantities of a red drug called duotine (the faulty "nightmare suppressant" given to him on K'lia) and a large red gemstone which would be installed in and around his heart.

John/Marcus is supposed to be fluent in Japanese and Middle Egyptian (the latter the main language of the Kaminari, with Translator Microbes for any observers) but that doesn't come across often as I myself am only learning both of those and my knowledge is basic.

There's also differing backgrounds of his 3 5D copies for the MARS idea, all three of whom share constants and have some variables to each other but that's not important right now.

The idea of Path of KAP is a MARS entry with a fourth copy: a realistically depicted one: What happens to him if events come to pass as they have done IRL and those of the main three MARS timelines never happen? John in this world is never directly revealed or shown, and you instead play as KAP herself, in a story inspired by The Binding of Isaac Rebirth and Pathways into Darkness.

The Issac front actually comes from when I first heard of that game thanks to MatPat's Game Theory on the story of that game. Originally I thought of Path of KAP as a mod for PID instead, as a more forgiving roguelike and elements added in that I thought PID should have. As the concept evolved however, I realised it wasn't practical as a PID mod, especially as I had no editors for it.

So making it a Marathon mod instead would allow me to be more creative with level design. Other PID elements I would have dropped could be revived thanks to PID A1, such as talking to corpses.

I'm not sure about adding the Isfet Crystals to the design bible though, but it it may be interesting when you don't have BFG ammo.

If I somehow ever plan this mod properly and get it off the ground, the idea is for the real KAP to be the first player as it's intended as an apology for the misunderstanding referenced in Chapter 1 Stage 1: that actually happened.

On lighter notes, installing the rain mod isn't that hard: just download it to the Eternal folder and chose it as the map file in Preferences. The issue comes from some machines not being able to handle it and lagging. mine has been OK so far and has only had some lag in Map13 which hasn't got rain. (nothing I didn't see in Brutal Doom 21, considering my hardware's age)

For Halo 2, I found disk copies of it here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000F6W8AE/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I'm yet to install my own on my laptop as I never got around to it. I do recommend the Warthog Restore mod. I'll link to it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNhVX02yioU&t=241s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXwEw3jM-h4&t=268s

There's also Halo 2 Anniversary on the Steam version of MCC but that will take ages to release.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/976730/?snr=1_wishlist_4__wishlist-capsule

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 4/24/19 5:51 a.m.
     Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Forrest of B.org 4/24/19 5:42 p.m.
           Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Forrest of B.org 4/24/19 7:00 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 4/25/19 3:53 a.m.
           Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 4/25/19 3:51 a.m.
     Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2VikingBoyBilly 4/28/19 5:26 p.m.
           Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 4/29/19 5:15 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 4/29/19 5:18 a.m.
           Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 4/29/19 1:16 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2VikingBoyBilly 4/29/19 3:07 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 4/30/19 7:28 a.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 4/30/19 8:11 a.m.
                                   Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2VikingBoyBilly 4/30/19 2:12 p.m.
                                         Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Shining Raven 4/30/19 2:36 p.m.
                                               Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 5/1/19 12:42 a.m.
                                         Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2VikingBoyBilly 4/30/19 3:13 p.m.
                                               Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 5/1/19 12:25 a.m.
                                         Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2Lion O Cyborg 5/1/19 1:01 a.m.
                                               Re: Eternal X Tour of Duty Chapter 1 Stage 2VikingBoyBilly 5/1/19 4:33 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.