/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stuf
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 4/13/18 5:00 p.m.

In Response To: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stuff (Marathoner325)

Yes, it's been discussed numerous times.

It's not just discontinuity between games, but within M1 itself. Ingue Ferroque seems to suggest that he abandons you, but the ending screen is very obviously a sequel hook. It's done in such a way that I forget everything that strongly suggests Durandal probably couldn't have taken him with you on the Boomer. What kind of sequel hook would that be if you weren't over there with Durandal and the s'pht?

That last line is still haunting: Durandal was Laughing. Maybe he'd come back to strike against humanity and then steal you away to Lh'owon? Seems like a circuitous way to advance the game's plot to get you there; better to just cut to the chase and have you start on Lh'owon immediately and then have an infodump explaining it via terminals.

Taking the end screen at face value, I just assumed the next game would be on that planet exploring s'pht civiliztion; it's only when I stop and think of the details that it doesn't add up. Perhaps the timeline hopping didn't start at Infinity, but at M2. We make our first timeline jump when we realize staying with Leela won't end well (ironically, in infinity, this is the timeline that does end well). We experience all of M2, the pfhor fire the Trih Xeem, then we see the ending screen. We could be seeing the future after infinity when we cleaned things up. The terminals expositing the mythology established the w'rk in the sun in M2. Infinity just fires that checkov's gun.

So it's not just one game we see an incongruent ending screen, but two. Infinity just goes "bah, timeline hopping" to patch up those plot holes. At the end of infinity, we get the happy ending as seen on the M2 screen (except we didn't free blake and the other humans by letting them steal the ship, did we? And is the guy on the dreadnaught just Durandal, or DurandalThoth?). The infinity enscreen just skips over that to give us the end of time itself, and Durandal watches you escape and become god. Yup, you, not Durandal/thoth. I think the endscreen may have been their last moments witnessing the universe collapsing on them with no way out.

Although it's kinda lame. I expected the third game to be about that assault on the pfhor planet, but we didn't get to explore that. I think they said they wanted to make "the next quake killer" but were in a crunch and on a budget, so we got infinity. Only in Rubicon did fans deliver what I was expecting Infinity to be.

So... eh, the games are deep, but may not have been as well planned out as we give them credit for. They do a good job of giving plenty of pieces to construct working narratives out of it though.

P.S.: The BoBs got white-washed, but nobody talks about that bit of discontinuity.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stuffMarathoner325 4/13/18 12:31 p.m.
     Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufForrest of B.org 4/13/18 2:33 p.m.
     Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufVikingBoyBilly 4/13/18 5:00 p.m.
           Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufMartin 4/14/18 10:21 p.m.
     Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufGeneral-RADIX 4/13/18 7:32 p.m.
           Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufShining Raven 4/13/18 9:59 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufGeneral-RADIX 4/13/18 11:13 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufShining Raven 4/14/18 1:53 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufukimalefu 4/14/18 6:32 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufMarathoner325 4/14/18 10:43 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufShining Raven 4/14/18 2:05 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufGeneral-RADIX 4/15/18 12:04 a.m.
           Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufMarathoner325 4/14/18 10:59 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufShining Raven 4/14/18 2:09 p.m.
     Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufNevets01 4/20/18 9:09 a.m.
           Re: Marathon 2 is its own timeline, and other stufDurandal_1707 4/20/18 4:11 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.