/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSX
Posted By: PerseusSpartacusDate: 12/27/17 12:32 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSX (Lion O Cyborg)

: The main attraction to Pfhorge is visual mode to make maps easier as it's a
: little similar to the original Forge and I don't know how to use the
: Weland visual mode plugin properly as it is for Aleph One games themselves
: and not a Weland application plugin like the 5D space checker one.
: (presumably)

: Do I save my map and load it in Aleph One with the plugin active and map
: textures and adjust heights from there? Should the map be open in Weland
: while doing so to allow me to see any in editor changes on the fly?

The visual mode plugin for Aleph One doesn't allow you to change polygon heights, I'm pretty sure, so the actual architecture has to all be built in Weland. However, you do not want to have both Aleph One and Weland open at the same time, because Weland won't automatically keep track of any changes you make in Aleph One Visual Mode (nor vice versa), so you're likely to accidentally overwrite/reset all the texturing you just did. Theoretically you could keep both open, but you'd have to remember to keep re-opening the map file in Weland every time you went back to it, which may be slightly less problematic but is more likely to result in you accidentally deleting textures and having to start over again.

Admittedly this is a somewhat clunky design process, but you get used to it after a while, and each tool is independently very good at what it does. At first it'll feel like you're switching between two different Swiss army knives that have almost no overlap in their functionality, but over time you'll become accustomed to how they work, and with practice, you'll find them to be very effective for what they do.

Just remember to 'pave' your level before jumping into Visual Mode, or you'll find it extremely awkward to even begin the texturing process.

: Personally I hope to use both Weland and Pfhorge, but I want to start with
: the one that's easiest to use first.

I've never touched Pfhorge, but I can tell you it's probably better to focus on learning the one that will give you the best long-term results, and frankly, I don't see how Pfhorge could possibly be better in the long-term than the combination of Weland and Aleph One Visual Mode. More important than anything, perhaps, is the fact that Weland is generally better-supported than Pfhorge – I've heard plenty of conversations on the Pfhorums, for example, about Weland, but none whatsoever about Pfhorge. Thus, you're more likely to find help and solutions to your problems if you make the transition to Weland than you would if you tried to stick with Pfhorge.

Vale,
Perseus

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSX?Lion O Cyborg 12/27/17 5:40 a.m.
     Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXLion O Cyborg 12/27/17 5:50 a.m.
     Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXGeneral-RADIX 12/27/17 8:17 a.m.
     Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXtreellama 12/27/17 9:35 a.m.
           Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXLion O Cyborg 12/27/17 10:20 a.m.
                 Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXPerseusSpartacus 12/27/17 12:32 p.m.
                       Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXVikingBoyBilly 12/27/17 1:12 p.m.
                             Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXLion O Cyborg 12/28/17 5:27 a.m.
                                   Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXtreellama 12/28/17 8:17 a.m.
                                   Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXVikingBoyBilly 12/28/17 12:54 p.m.
                                         Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXPerseusSpartacus 12/28/17 5:46 p.m.
                                               Quick change of advice... *LINK*PerseusSpartacus 12/30/17 6:44 a.m.
                                                     Re: Quick change of advice...Shining Raven 1/2/18 10:07 p.m.
                                                           Glad I could help! :) *NM*PerseusSpartacus 1/3/18 6:11 a.m.
                             Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXShining Raven 12/28/17 6:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXForrest of B.org 12/29/17 7:24 a.m.
     Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXscratskinner 12/27/17 11:03 a.m.
           Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXLion O Cyborg 12/27/17 12:30 p.m.
                 Re: Can we get a version of Pfhorge for modern OSXDurandal_1707 12/28/17 4:07 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.