/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.
Posted By: Durandal_1707Date: 7/18/16 9:29 a.m.

In Response To: Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do. (Lion O Cyborg)

: I posted just above that yes, I now know that the Mac version is great and
: only the Mega Drive and CDI versions were bad.

: http://forums.bungie.org/story/?read=69774

: On a similar note, I didn't used to give Mac games enough credit but I think
: that's only because the hardware wasn't first designed for serious gaming.
: The games themselves could be great though, some of which originated on
: older Apple hardware like Prince of Persia 1 and Ultima 1 for the Apple
: II.

: I'd love to see a PC gaming Mac desktop and laptop designed first and
: foremost for serious gaming like my windows laptop. Maybe there's already
: one but I don't know.

Personally, I think the Mac's hardware was great for gaming, it's just that a lot of people didn't realize it. The relatively high-end video hardware that it included in order to cater to the Photoshop and DTP users that were its bread and butter at the time allowed games to have much higher resolutions, and sometimes, greater color depth than on DOS-based platforms where you were pretty much limited to 320x200, 256 colors up until Windows 95 came out.

As for sound... well, have a look at this link. This is a game that came out in 1984. Yes, that's right, 1984. At a time when most games featured bleeps and bloops like in the original Oregon Trail, this thing played an actual recording of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries when it started up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G7R9lV9eVY

Once you got to the early 90s, it was sort of a golden age, where the Mac porting houses (particularly MacPlay) would redo the graphics and sound of games that originated on DOS, resulting in the Mac version pretty much becoming the definitive version of that game. Compare the DOS and Mac versions of Wolfenstein 3D for a really blatant example. The two Prince of Persia games were drastically improved as well, as were a number of smaller games that I enjoyed such as Castles: Siege and Conquest (Castles II on DOS, since the Mac never got a port of the original game) and a bunch of educational games that were out at the time. I still remember bugging my parents to buy the Mac version of some game that I'd have played on the PCs at school, only to be completely blown away by how much better the Mac version ended up being.

And then, of course, when DOOM was the big thing in DOS gaming, we got Marathon.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

What a seriously assholish thing to do.bakuDD 7/14/16 5:23 p.m.
     Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.VikingBoyBilly 7/15/16 1:43 a.m.
           Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Durandal_1707 7/15/16 7:31 a.m.
           Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Bob-B-Q 7/15/16 7:34 a.m.
                 Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Durandal_1707 7/15/16 7:07 p.m.
                       Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.ukimalefu 7/15/16 11:35 p.m.
                       Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Lion O Cyborg 7/16/16 5:21 a.m.
                             Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Roland 7/16/16 8:59 p.m.
                                   Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Durandal_1707 7/16/16 9:15 p.m.
                                         Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Lion O Cyborg 7/17/16 2:30 a.m.
                                               Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Durandal_1707 7/18/16 9:13 a.m.
                             Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.General-RADIX 7/16/16 9:07 p.m.
                             Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.ukimalefu 7/16/16 11:18 p.m.
                                   Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Lion O Cyborg 7/18/16 1:25 a.m.
                                         Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Durandal_1707 7/18/16 9:29 a.m.
                                               Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Lion O Cyborg 7/18/16 12:23 p.m.
                                               Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.VikingBoyBilly 7/18/16 3:52 p.m.
                                                     Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Forrest of B.org 7/18/16 4:12 p.m.
                                                           Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Lion O Cyborg 7/19/16 1:43 a.m.
                                                                 Re: What a seriously assholish thing to do.Bob-B-Q 7/19/16 8:22 a.m.
           It's a game.DeChief 7/17/16 9:15 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.