/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a cord
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 6/21/15 11:13 a.m.

(Forward: This first entry is just an introduction before the actual game, giving us the details of the manual text in my own commentary. At time of posting, I’m actually in the middle of writing Chapter 1 of the PID Tour now.

Images will most likely be links to that specific image in my log in the spot where the image itself should have been because I don't know how to edit the HTML. All sourced from google with some of them given text boxes and such in Word. Screenshots are the only exception minus any other ones edited in to them.)

Chapter 0: Bungie without a cord.

Good day fellow Vidmasters. This is Lion O Cyborg and you are reading the Marathon Story forums’ Pathways into Darkness Tour of Duty. (Sorry, this is my first actual walkthrough writing so I may suck at intros)

The year is 1994. An alien projection appeared in the Pentagon this very year in Spring, warning President Clinton and his senior military staff that we had eight days to save the world. OK, as far as the 90’s went, he was 6 years too early but that shows how much I knew about government secrets, especially as I wasn’t alive then. (as a multi-celled being anyway)

I currently find myself on a plane, taking the role of Sergeant Eddings, flying to the Yucatan Peninsula in order to parachute into a millennia old meteorite crater with enough firepower to piss off the 90’s era BJ Blazkowicz.

From what I’ve been told, 64 million years ago, the “meteorite” in our LZ crashed there and wiped out half of Earth’s species of the time. The heat from impact melted the rock around its body and it was under the lava’s surface when it froze again. The thing was nearly two kilometres long, and trapped in layers of igneous rocks thousands of feet underground.

It was an ancient immortal being from the early days of the Milky Way during its Nebula stages. His species grew bored of our universe -which was tiny compared to itself in the present day- and nearly killed themselves in war, over what I do not know. Who can survive the longest wins an elder god pizza buffet at that glowing sphere over there after everyone wakes up perhaps? Happy hour in the astral plane and the last team standing gets the first round free?

Blood sports like that must have been their version of summertime Nerf wars as they can lie dormant but are never truly dead.

This particular one “died” during the battle that formed the Clouds of Magellan, and then drifted in space for millions of light years before landing here. We can attempt to pronounce their species name, the W’rkncacnter but we can never even try to interpret their individual names since we lack the anatomy for it. I always pronounce it “erkncacter” or “wrkncacter”. We aren't told that name for them until Marathon Infinity but while Eddings may not know their name, we do at least. :)

As it lay in its rocky tomb, it started to dream after millennia had passed. Its dreams could take physical form; warping and twisting spacetime and matter almost randomly. Caverns and mazes bubbled into existence around and above the transsentient creature and other dreams took on life as horrid monsters.

Those changes have started to appear on the surface of the Earth: grotesque monsters have been sighted roaming the trackless forests and other dark bowers of man’s domain, and a pyramid that doesn’t appear to have been built by the Yucatan’s natives has been rumoured to be deep within that very forest.

http://lion-o-cyborg-iii.tumblr.com/post/122101270797/pathways-into-darkness-tour-of-duty-ch-0-image-1 />

To cut a long story shorter, the Jjaro have told us that while the god can’t die, we can put it back to sleep, buying them some time for them to arrive and take more permanent measures.

It is currently May the 8th. The god will wake up this Friday at 6:13 in the evening. We have to knock him back out before 2:00 that afternoon to give us plenty time to get out and be back in time for tea.

We will take radio beacons with us to signal the extraction team to pick us up after we’re finished. The Jjaro warn us that we will have to deal with the god’s dreams while in the pyramid. While we’re there, we should keep an eye out for Jjaro artifacts to bring back for study, and the 6 Isfet Crystals. They’re supposed to help us fight the monsters and bypass some obstacles. Chaos Control I presume?

Above all, we will descend to the lowest point of the Abyss and nuke the god’s body from underground.

http://lion-o-cyborg-iii.tumblr.com/post/122101339662/pid-tour-of-duty-ch-0-image-2 />

Good thing I’ve beaten this game twice already since getting it, so Aye Mak Sicur. ;)

Now, I’m just going to jump out the door and skydive to the pyramid. I can’t easily write or take photographs while falling at terminal velocity so hang on a tic.

Sorry I took a while: my chute failed on the way down and I was only able to pull the spare before crashing groin first through some spiky treetops. (Ouch!) I was knocked unconscious for a few hours and now after waking up and walking a short distance through the jungle, I’m standing right outside the pyramid.

http://lion-o-cyborg-iii.tumblr.com/post/122101711477/a-badly-photoshopped-image-of-the-black-pyramid-in />

Yeah, it’s not from the final screen and looks more like Mumm-Ra’s captured Jjaro dreadnaught and a dark swamp from google images and fiddled about with in Microsoft Word but it was 6:13 in the morning and I was in a dark and foggy rainforest. Thought I’d keep in time with the time I entered.

Most of my equipment is lost, I have only a pen and wad of paper for drawing maps (read: an automap), a knife and a Colt.45 pistol, my flashlight and my watch. My pistol ammo is gone and my M16s muzzle is bent upwards enough to render it useless. Looking between the sights and ambidextrous cocking levers, it looks like my rifle is giving me the middle finger. Joke’s on it though: Nazi’s entered this place during the war and their bodies have weapons on them that still work. However, I have no radio beacon. :(

The others are already inside and now after going in after them down a green cobblestone hallway to a small antechamber, the door has now closed and locked behind me.

Uh Oh.

At least I can’t hear any voices murmuring “Join us”. (yet) Tune in next time for Chapter 1: The Great Pyramid, where we tackle the Ground Floor and Never Stop Firing.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a cordLion O Cyborg 6/21/15 11:13 a.m.
     Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coLion O Cyborg 6/21/15 11:15 a.m.
     Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coLion O Cyborg 6/21/15 11:25 a.m.
     Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coVikingBoyBilly 6/21/15 2:34 p.m.
           Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a co *LINK*Bob-B-Q 6/22/15 8:24 a.m.
                 Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coLion O Cyborg 6/23/15 5:57 a.m.
           Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coLion O Cyborg 6/23/15 1:20 a.m.
                 Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coVikingBoyBilly 6/23/15 12:24 p.m.
                       Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coBob-B-Q 6/23/15 2:46 p.m.
                             Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coPhiltron 6/23/15 4:47 p.m.
                                   Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coPresident People 6/25/15 10:17 p.m.
                       Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coLion O Cyborg 6/24/15 3:09 a.m.
     Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coDurandal_1707 6/22/15 1:14 p.m.
           Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coMartin 6/22/15 1:58 p.m.
           Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coVikingBoyBilly 6/22/15 2:27 p.m.
                 Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coLion O Cyborg 6/23/15 1:50 a.m.
           Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coLion O Cyborg 6/23/15 1:37 a.m.
                 Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coVikingBoyBilly 6/23/15 3:36 a.m.
                       Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coLion O Cyborg 6/23/15 4:08 a.m.
                             Re: PID Tou of Duty Chapter 0- Bungie without a coVikingBoyBilly 6/23/15 6:17 a.m.
     Easter Egg conversationVikingBoyBilly 6/23/15 4:19 p.m.
           Re: Easter Egg conversationLion O Cyborg 6/24/15 3:13 a.m.
           Re: Easter Egg conversationHopper 6/24/15 8:14 a.m.
                 Re: Easter Egg conversationForrest of B.org 6/24/15 2:22 p.m.
                       Re: Easter Egg conversationVikingBoyBilly 6/24/15 3:00 p.m.
                             Re: Easter Egg conversationMartin 6/24/15 3:09 p.m.
     Found a new bugVikingBoyBilly 6/25/15 3:28 a.m.
           Re: Found a new bugMark Levin 6/26/15 6:12 a.m.
                 Re: Found a new bugVikingBoyBilly 6/26/15 9:07 a.m.
                       Re: Found a new bugxcalibur 6/27/15 8:29 p.m.
           Even more bugsVikingBoyBilly 6/27/15 1:33 p.m.
                 Re: Even more bugsLion O Cyborg 6/28/15 2:44 a.m.
                       Re: Even more bugsVikingBoyBilly 6/28/15 4:15 a.m.
                             Re: Even more bugsPerseusSpartacus 6/28/15 9:35 a.m.
                                   Re: Even more bugsBob-B-Q 6/29/15 6:57 a.m.
                                         Re: Even more bugsxcalibur 6/30/15 6:29 a.m.
                                               Re: Even more bugsVikingBoyBilly 6/30/15 7:46 a.m.
                                                     Re: Even more bugsxcalibur 6/30/15 8:13 a.m.
                                                           Re: Even more bugsBob-B-Q 6/30/15 9:48 a.m.
                                                           Re: Even more bugsLion O Cyborg 6/30/15 11:59 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.