/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Pathways into Darkness review
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 6/18/15 6:42 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Pathways into Darkness review (VikingBoyBilly)

: I learned some stuff I didn't know! There's been strafe buttons all these
: years? That will make my OSx playthrough easier than backing up and
: turning to try to dodge. I didn't even know your health increased, I
: thought the points were just that: useless points.

No duck button though like it was rumoured to be :(

: You're not even exaggerating about the typhoid poo monsters bit, because
: that's exactly what the level with the yellow tar monsters is (I guess
: I'll call them typhoid poo from now on).

The Brown ones are made of simple diarrhoea but the invincible green ones on Warning: Earthquake zone are the typhoid poo. the goggles are for the invisible wraiths.

Not to mention you have to drink semi liquid scat before they let you pass but be sure you have a bottle of silver handy!

: I wouldn't call source porting it to only OSx lazines... more like it's an
: exponentially greater load of work to get it to work on windows and the
: only people who know or care about PID are the old fans who played it on
: an apple anyway. I played a more recent version of that guy's windows
: remake, and it still has no clipping (he got the distance shading and the
: slow crawl of motion nailed perfectly).

Unlike other players, I liked the slow speed, it gives the impression of a scared 100% biological human trapped in a Lovecraftian nightmare unlike the badass battleroid Marcus Jones.

I do like how in recent versions he showed us in his rift video, he increased both running speed and the monsters too to keep the defencelessness tone of the game. The problem of the original speed was you couldn't always tell if it was lagging or not until a headless yelped slightly after it was jabbed like in a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

: The pictures aren't in your blog. What happened?

The pictures should be there. the links in the post take you to the specific picture on the log in question. I tested them offline (logged out of Tumblr) and they seem to work for me. I don't know how to edit the HTML for this site so I just used the links. My Marathon HTMLs I was writing before were simply edited in Notepad++.

: PID is truly representative of a lost age of experimental adventure games.
: It's weird that you call it an RPG. I call it an FPS, but it does have
: leveling up. You can see the steady decline of depth and mystifying
: nonlinearity in favor of combat and simplicity from
: PID->Marathon->Halo

Not to mention Lord British and Looking Glass Studios stole half the Pathways and Marathon aesthetics for Ultima Underworld and System Shock. All UU was, was a slightly better designed world with worse graphics, a slower engine, shitty controls and the nicked PID elements repainted to look unique e.g. Runestones instead of crystals, UU headless look and behave like F'lickta and share the PID monsters' name, Ghosts instead of Banshees, recolored textures, professionally faked liquids which Doom and Marathon 1 failed at etc.

System Shock took Pattern Buffers which came back in Bioshock, rampant AIs (SHODAN is the gender of Leela with the genius of Durandal and personality of Tycho's Pfhor clones) Pathways crystals were now psychic powers, lead pipe or Wrench instead of a knife, a time limit of 7 hours (on hard mission difficulty) a 6 digit code for a big bomb near the end, and a crap final boss fight. (SS2's two final bosses were just ok)

Anyway, I call it an RPG but I mean an FPSRPG, like System Shock or Deus Ex.

: This should be a fun series of write ups, I like your writing style.

Thank you. I was inspired by Yahtzee Croshaw's Zero punctuation and his cynical British humour. Being British myself, it was rather easy to adopt it over time along with personal experience of our world to boot. That's one of the reasons I really like Durandal, he has a half Portal, half British sense of humour.

I will try to get around to it at some point but I may have to play in non full screen mode (not exactly windowed if you know what I mean emulator wise) in order to record my experience on Word and to access print screen because I don't think Mac VM screenshots will carry over to the main Windows machine.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Pathways into Darkness reviewLion O Cyborg 6/18/15 2:50 a.m.
     Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewVikingBoyBilly 6/18/15 6:04 a.m.
           Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewLion O Cyborg 6/18/15 6:42 a.m.
                 Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewLion O Cyborg 6/18/15 6:45 a.m.
                 Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewBob-B-Q 6/18/15 7:52 a.m.
                       Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewLion O Cyborg 6/18/15 8:06 a.m.
                             Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewVikingBoyBilly 6/18/15 9:07 a.m.
                                   Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewLion O Cyborg 6/18/15 9:21 a.m.
                                         Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewLion O Cyborg 6/18/15 9:26 a.m.
                             Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewtreellama 6/18/15 10:10 a.m.
                                   Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewLion O Cyborg 6/18/15 10:23 a.m.
                                   Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewVikingBoyBilly 6/18/15 4:09 p.m.
                                         Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewBob-B-Q 6/18/15 4:33 p.m.
                                               Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewMartin 6/18/15 5:02 p.m.
                                               Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewPhiltron 6/19/15 5:55 p.m.
                                                     Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewVikingBoyBilly 6/20/15 12:17 p.m.
                                                           Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewPhiltron 6/20/15 2:41 p.m.
                                                                 fine *NM*VikingBoyBilly 6/20/15 4:11 p.m.
                 Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewVikingBoyBilly 6/19/15 5:26 p.m.
     Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewxcalibur 6/18/15 10:59 a.m.
     Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewVikingBoyBilly 6/20/15 4:38 p.m.
           Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewLion O Cyborg 6/21/15 8:19 a.m.
                 Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewVikingBoyBilly 6/21/15 9:19 a.m.
                       Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewLion O Cyborg 6/21/15 9:30 a.m.
                             Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewVikingBoyBilly 6/21/15 5:08 p.m.
                                   Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewMartin 6/21/15 6:11 p.m.
                                         Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewVikingBoyBilly 6/22/15 3:07 p.m.
                                               Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewMartin 6/22/15 4:40 p.m.
                                                     Re: Pathways into Darkness reviewVikingBoyBilly 6/23/15 12:03 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.