/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The Maw
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 6/15/15 8:28 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The Maw (Martin)

: Yep ironically that title should have been pretty clear, but the stress of
: losing health the whole time, plus the fact that the torch was on from the
: very start (right?) and we probably never even noticed it ... yeah tricks,
: and without any real modern gaming equivalent. And I reckon the way to
: "... But They're Hungry" would be locked in a modern context,
: until one found that crystal.

Some of Halo's Easter eggs are quite nasty themselves and are usually too difficult for me to arsed going after them. This trend only really starts in Halo 2 with the skulls. the Scarab Guns and Soccer Ball are a dick move to get too without hacking the game.

In my List for MTA and M4, I compared the audio log hunting in Halo 3 ODST to Colony ship for sale, Cheap. That was because I had a lot of trouble finding even just one terminal after I found most of them in literary copy-pasted streets, knowing too late that the ringing phones, vomiting ATMs and the road's cat's eyes making juggernaut noises was a clue to their presence.

Even then, you couldn't even find some of those clues without looking in secret doors that I only eventually found through both an online roadmap and abuse of the custom waypoints.

The text terminal's in Halo 3 were impossible to read without eyestrain because I had a cathode ray TV for my Xbox 360 until only late last December when I bought an LCD widescreen for my Xbox One.

And just to rub salt into it, the terminal kicked you out when in the middle of reading something, then did a rather long animation and forced you to read a different set of text. and then you had to do it all again for the different text in the other difficulties.

343 Industries does it themselves what with Halo 4's terminals only being available on Waypoint or the halo channel which is something I do not want to have to do in the middle of a game, meaning I can't see them when I find them. Halo MCC at least opens the Halo Channel and plays the terminal automatically, but if you don't shut down the program when the terminal finishes, irritating music plays when you access the next terminal and drowns out the audio.

I also don't want to have to quit out of the game and fiddle around with icons before I can continue playing when finding a term. At least the terminals in MCC halo 3 and ODST were untouched although so far they haven't improved either. (I've only got as far as the end of ODST in MCC after CEA and 2A)

The points system is quite awful too: You lose 100 points for dying which is both unavoidable and very common on Heroic and Legendary, more if you kill allies which sometimes happens when they block your shots just like Bob, and they punish you for reloading the last checkpoint by taking away 200 points.

Just a few days ago on uplift reserve in MCC, the points system glitched out after dying too many times resulting in me earning exactly 0 points for every kill I made but I could still lose points. Quitting and reloading didn't fix it either and I wasn't going to restart and lose my progress just to try and see if that would work.

I haven't found any data pads in Reach because the "hints" in the strategy guide are not helpful at all and I doubt I could get them after finding out where they are anyway.

The par times are just a copy from Doom and they sucked then too because they were too short, even if you are meant to ignore everything and just complete the level, sometimes you can't do that because if enemies blocking your path, doors locking behind you, not enough ammo to fight off those that do need to be killed etc. It's only worse in Halo because fights don't work the same in Doom but actually feel harder especially in Halo 1, 2 and Halo 3 : ODST.

But coming back to Marathon and PID; I was able to complete System Shock 1 and 2 without a guide (on normal of course and puzzle difficulty in 1 on easy) but I only beat Pathways because I didn't get it for a long time due to my dad being busy so he couldn't get the emulator until last Autumn. Because of that, I read up on it and watched a let's play so I would at least know what it was like.

Even then, I had annotated maps handy in Safari to help with subtle things like treasure and ammo locations.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawVikingBoyBilly 6/10/15 4:04 p.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/11/15 4:47 a.m.
           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawVikingBoyBilly 6/11/15 7:54 a.m.
                 Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/11/15 8:57 a.m.
                 Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/12/15 4:18 a.m.
                       Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/12/15 6:08 a.m.
                             Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/12/15 6:10 a.m.
                                   Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawPerseusSpartacus 6/12/15 8:23 a.m.
                                         Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/12/15 11:47 a.m.
                       Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawVikingBoyBilly 6/13/15 5:49 a.m.
                             Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/13/15 3:24 p.m.
                                   Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/13/15 8:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawVikingBoyBilly 6/14/15 1:56 p.m.
                                         Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/14/15 5:09 p.m.
                                               Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/15/15 8:28 a.m.
                                                     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/15/15 8:49 a.m.
                                                           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/15/15 1:31 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/16/15 4:27 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/16/15 10:14 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/16/15 12:47 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/16/15 12:49 p.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The Maw *LINK*HelviusRufus 6/11/15 1:38 p.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawVikingBoyBilly 6/13/15 5:54 a.m.
           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/13/15 6:20 a.m.
                 Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/13/15 6:23 a.m.
                       Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/13/15 3:32 p.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/21/15 7:08 p.m.
           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 7/9/15 1:36 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.