/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The Maw
Posted By: MartinDate: 6/12/15 4:18 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The Maw (VikingBoyBilly)

: You might be in for a long wait (maybe even endless) unless I play it on a
: friend's xbox or something. Is the Halo 2 port for windows as bad as the
: internet says it is?

I've just finished running Halo 2 on Master Chief Collection, and could have a go at your style of writeups lol. The next one for TI is on the move, but that's a much bigger undertaking. For this I don't even need maps or terminal pics!!

Re this write up, I'm surprised at the comments on halo being more accessible than marathon. PID I get, because that was a total crapshoot without walkthroughs, but M1 was pretty explicit with its instructions, and, one more time, it had maps so getting list was harder, especially in M1 where they weren't so ambitious with multiple floors per level. There were the puzzles, and possibly some a little too early, like Defend THIS's crusher and switches, but in general I find the gameplay much more approachable than Halo's. Plus I still love the keypad style layout and find it much more comfortable in terms of not inducing motion sickness even slightly. Plus the Marathon walking with head bob is still the best approximation to the real thing I've seen. Most other FPSes including Halo just go for a sliding motion.

Storywise I guess Halo is more approachable, but for -us- thank goodness Marathon isn't, or we wouldn't be here :). I just don't find Halo's story as engaging, especially when very similar things happen in 2, just with the added Covenant perspective.

The last level is cool though, with a little variety at long last. I got really mad at exploding flood in compressed areas, but it was a cool concept. And the warthog run must have been really well received, because they put a lot more vehicle levels early on in 2 and 3. And then added achievements to do them without vehicles. For The Maw, you can't actually climb the slopes on foot, so imagining really is the best we can do :). Thanks for doing this project, and in such a timely fashion, as I'm just playing the series for the first time :).

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawVikingBoyBilly 6/10/15 4:04 p.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/11/15 4:47 a.m.
           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawVikingBoyBilly 6/11/15 7:54 a.m.
                 Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/11/15 8:57 a.m.
                 Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/12/15 4:18 a.m.
                       Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/12/15 6:08 a.m.
                             Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/12/15 6:10 a.m.
                                   Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawPerseusSpartacus 6/12/15 8:23 a.m.
                                         Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/12/15 11:47 a.m.
                       Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawVikingBoyBilly 6/13/15 5:49 a.m.
                             Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/13/15 3:24 p.m.
                                   Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/13/15 8:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawVikingBoyBilly 6/14/15 1:56 p.m.
                                         Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/14/15 5:09 p.m.
                                               Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/15/15 8:28 a.m.
                                                     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/15/15 8:49 a.m.
                                                           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/15/15 1:31 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/16/15 4:27 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/16/15 10:14 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/16/15 12:47 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/16/15 12:49 p.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The Maw *LINK*HelviusRufus 6/11/15 1:38 p.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawVikingBoyBilly 6/13/15 5:54 a.m.
           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/13/15 6:20 a.m.
                 Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawLion O Cyborg 6/13/15 6:23 a.m.
                       Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/13/15 3:32 p.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 6/21/15 7:08 p.m.
           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 7 — Keyes and The MawMartin 7/9/15 1:36 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.