/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 6/8/15 4:56 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343 (Martin)

: Good stuff. This is where I got totally pissed off with the game for long
: boring level design. Assault on the Control Tower was bad enough - on and
: on and on, another bridge, another octagonal room, another downward
: corridor, another octagonal room, another bridge, an outdoor area, a cave,
: another outdoor area, an octagonal room, a downward corridor, an octagonal
: room, ad nauseum ... but then running it backwards? Thankfully by then my
: intelligence circuits had melted, and I didn't even notice, except for
: that tower with the invis and health you mentioned.

I loved the architecture, but they did use the copy+paste tool in a lot of places. I thought it was interesting that the pulse generators were in rooms that were inaccessible the first time around, but, again, they just C&Ped the same architecture we saw before. I think it would have been nice if the rooms were accessible the first time, but we just didn't know what the generators were or what to do with them. I guess that's just post-millenium design where the player isn't allowed to get lost or confused by all means necessary. There's eveen a couple underground locked doors that we never get to see inside of, it's just an excuse to have cubby holes for health/ammo.

Interesting that we're commenting on the architecture/repetitive hallway syndrome when PID was made of labyrinths that had almost nothing to work with in terms of architecture: just square tiles. Marathon reconciles the two extremes with it's level designs, and there's no reason Halo shouldn't have Marathonish map designs (minus 5D space), but I can see why it was made the way it is because 3D mapping tools are difficult to work with.

: Also really wasn't a fan of the multi-level maze design of 343 ... which
: also, really, still a name I just can't warm to. And these conventions
: carried on through to Destiny much the same, to the point of this:
: http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/16/7559177/quiz-destiny-gun-or-swedish-metal-band

I liked that the atmosphere took a total dive into PID/M1-ish dark horror when it looked like the whole game was going to be M2 again. I thought you were talking about the library for a second, but now I remember, of course, 343 came before that. Now I really don't know if 343 Guilty Spark is the name of the place or the monitor.

: The flood spawn things are a lot of fun with a shotgun, as are the flood
: zombies and such, and so nice to have such a big clip in the shotgun! But
: the irony becomes that it takes ages to reload, although we can interrupt
: it, and we can't dual wield it, lol ... not even when Halo 2 brings back
: the very concept of dual wielding, strangely lost to Bungie between '96
: and '01.

I should have commented more on the shotgun's mechanics, but (as you can probably tell) I was getting burnt out in the writeup by that point, and especially when I went through the same map backwards (what is there to say?), but I accidentally made a good sandwich between Assault on the Control Room and Two Betrayals.

I haven't seen any zombified Jackals or Hunters. Are they immune?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343VikingBoyBilly 6/7/15 6:02 p.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343Martin 6/7/15 7:47 p.m.
           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343VikingBoyBilly 6/8/15 4:56 a.m.
                 Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343Lion O Cyborg 6/8/15 6:31 a.m.
                       Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343VikingBoyBilly 6/8/15 10:57 a.m.
           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343PerseusSpartacus 6/8/15 10:26 a.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343Lion O Cyborg 6/8/15 6:54 a.m.
           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343PerseusSpartacus 6/8/15 10:24 a.m.
                 Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343VikingBoyBilly 6/8/15 11:00 a.m.
                       Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343Lion O Cyborg 6/8/15 11:15 a.m.
                       Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343PerseusSpartacus 6/8/15 3:22 p.m.
     Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343 *LINK*PerseusSpartacus 6/9/15 2:37 p.m.
           Re: Let's Play Halo pt 6—Assault and 343Martin 6/9/15 3:18 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.