/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak Sicur
Posted By: MartinDate: 1/20/15 2:16 a.m.

In Response To: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak Sicur (VikingBoyBilly)

Good fun writeup, with much variation to keep it interesting - lucky that pre-emptive (strike) declination wasn't the final word! I think we can all derive benefit from the discussion :).

Always interesting to see email discussions transcribed here, complete with spelling imperfections (I blame phone autocorrect!), thank you very much :p.

Thinking about it further, how about the idea that the Durandal-Thoth entity couldn't actually survive for an extended period - two forces in balance, then nothing, perhaps actually a timeline reset? A Quantum Leapesque putting right what once went wrong, and then ultimately returning us to the original timeline with the "fix" implemented, i.e. the end of M2 but with the W'rkncacnter gone. So basically the end of M2, as there was never any mention of it - because we had already implemented the fix, because really, this time travel business is a real mess ;).

It actually seems amazing that they could cooperate at all, when their motivations are pretty different - remember late in M2, Thoth was off helping the Pfhor, after having helped us save the humans. Durandal just wouldn't stand for that sort of thing; he seems to take dominance in the messages we see on this level, but again, they are both acting as a means to an end. Durandal doesn't mention (bragging) anything about where he's headed next, possibly because on "Go." we teleport out of the timeline and it ceases to exist, and he knew that to be the case.

Anyway, about stuff that is actually in the writeup (fun in all as it is to make stuff up to try to explain the story!), I somehow never caught the potential implications of "doubt" in that first terminal. I never even realised it was not just from D/T, but it is quite clear now! And the argument of its being from S'Bhuth is a tempting one, now that I look at things in more detail (yes, apparently it is always possible!). On YTYBT, D/T says they have contacted S'Boath, and then the next part of the terminal comes after a "demand override" and talks about the W'rkncacnter mythos - now assuming that the spelling difference is just that, THAT message is actually from S'Bhuth, and so indeed is the first AMS one before D/T appears to take over, possibly because S'Bhuth has a long-winded style, and we Ain't Got Time Pfhor This! Why one uses translation brackets and the other doesn't, I really can't say :).

Durandal never names the W'rkncacnter, and is in fact skeptical of their existence, rather oddly, in that final terminal. Actually the middle terminal on this level does mention the W'rk, and contains a mix of styles - it's all a little odd. If it is D/T giving the name there, the turn of phrase in the last "The creature, or creatures, S'Bhuth fears" just seems odd. Especially seeing as, as I think we discussed at some point, we thought our whole purpose here was to stop the thing from escaping, so of course it wouldn't be there :o.

Could it be that D/T just weren't in the loop as to quite what we were doing? They were focused on containing the nova, for the sake of balance, but perhaps knowledge of the W'rkncacnter would have changed their perspective on that concept? This might also lead to the final screen text's being from S'bhuth, because he alone knew what we were capable of, and what we quietly achieved :D.

That's enough for now, and I've run out of smilies with which to end paragraphs :(.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurVikingBoyBilly 1/19/15 4:37 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurVikingBoyBilly 1/19/15 5:39 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurRoland 1/20/15 3:04 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurVikingBoyBilly 1/19/15 5:42 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurMartin 1/20/15 2:16 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurForrest of B.org 1/20/15 10:46 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurMartin 1/20/15 11:23 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurHokuto 1/23/15 9:56 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurDispatcher 1/24/15 5:50 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurMartin 1/24/15 7:53 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurVikingBoyBilly 1/28/15 2:30 p.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurMartin 1/28/15 2:34 p.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak Sicur *LINK*Dispatcher 1/28/15 2:41 p.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurMartin 1/29/15 12:38 a.m.
                                         Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurDispatcher 1/29/15 3:08 p.m.
                                         Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurDispatcher 1/29/15 3:11 p.m.
                                               Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurMartin 1/29/15 3:32 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Aye Mak SicurTatterdemalion 4/25/19 11:50 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.