/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Metaphysical throughplot
Posted By: SpamletDate: 10/9/14 4:22 a.m.

I've always pondered about how Halo might as well be Durandal's post-singularity imaginings - it's an idea I've seen come up here on occasion, but I've never really felt like there was much to support it. But nowadays I swear Destiny's lore pages have some significantly on-the-nose nods toward that idea continuing into the game's new universe. I can feel my fanfiction coming true!

I'm gonna copy-paste some stuff: "The Monist Position, or the Deflationary Position, considers the Darkness as a technologically sophisticated force, perhaps a post-Singularity intelligence. Adherents invoke information theory or contend that the universe is a simulation, allowing advanced intelligence to gain weakly acausal powers by bending the rules."

"I bear an old name. It cannot be killed. They were my brothers and sisters and their names were immortal too but Titanomachy came and now those names live in me alone I think and think is what I do. I AM ALONE. At the end of things when the world goes dim and cold or hot and close or it all tears apart from the atom up I will shout those names defiant and past the end I will endure. I alone."

Also this: "I met IT at the gate of the garden and I recall IT smiled at me before before IT devoured the blossoms with black flame and pinned their names across the sky."

Looks familiar! This is from that old unformatted Marathon 2 terminal: "We met once in the garden at the beginning of the world
and, unaware of our twin destinies, we matched stares
across a dry fountain. And I recall her smiling at me before
she devoured the lawn and trees with a translucent blue flame
and tore flagstones from the path and hurled them into the
sky, screaming my sins."

I'm just waiting for a character to show up with the name Joyeuse.

Marathon was special because it had an unusual amount of good creative writing in it - poetry, short fiction, often without much explanation for the context. This is something Destiny doesn't entirely retain - in its (mercifully few) scenes where multiple characters are exchanging dialogue with one another, the writing could honestly be called "embarrassingly bad." But digging through the grimoire stuff is definitely bringing back that feeling of poring over the story page back in the day. I feel pretty sure Bungie are still playing their games with us.

All this tru7h-seeking feels rather lonely nowadays. I guess most of y'all have lost the fire for it in light of Bungie finding and catering to a wider audience. But I don't think I'm crazy, here. Anyone out there with thoughts? I can't be the only one thinking about this stuff!

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Metaphysical throughplotSpamlet 10/9/14 4:22 a.m.
     Re: Metaphysical throughplotSimon Araque 10/9/14 6:16 a.m.
           Re: Metaphysical throughplotSpamlet 10/9/14 6:40 a.m.
           Re: Metaphysical throughplotJabberwok 10/14/14 10:51 a.m.
                 Re: Metaphysical throughplotSimon Araque 10/14/14 2:46 p.m.
     Re: Metaphysical throughplotJabberwok 10/14/14 10:45 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.