/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...
Posted By: MartinDate: 4/8/14 11:59 a.m.

In Response To: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks... (VikingBoyBilly)

A good read. A good rant :). A great level, one of my favourites. I only remember being stumped the first time through by the KYT style swim underneath and find a new path mechanism, and I remember being out of grenades and not good with SPNKR jumping without death. Actually probably out of those as well as I would have bothered to kill the Juggs, come to think of it. But much like knowing where to get the Blue Crystal in PiD (which I had to look up, knew I needed it from the demo), and various other secrets, there's no going back, these things will be in my mind forever....

That door puzzle I guess is less confusing if we wait up there until the nearby door closes again, and then figure out how to stop it doing so, and repeat the process for the faraway door. Of course it's not always that easy, as there tends to be a Jugg firing at us while we're standing up there! Also interesting, from Mark Levin in Volunteers:

Also up here is a pattern buffer, and a terminal that displays your attempts to shut down the dam. This may be the only time in the series when the Marine actually enters commands in a terminal, usually he just reads.

I never made that connection myself, but I guess this is us trying to get access to the controls for the dam subsystems, and it is a very interesting observation. We're in control? For the first time ever!?

Also I think what hindered my understanding was that I'm not sure I ever knew what 'sluice' meant! Like 'ansible' that we encountered in M2. Still learning. I had only really heard it in the context of 'sluice room', from one of my favourite films, Nuns on the Run, oddly enough. And that usage is slightly different from the context here.

That room with the ridiculous architecture that you comment on - actually looking at the map shot I am reminded of the empty room early on in Waterloo Waterpark, with equally silly mini-maze in the middle, and none of the action it was shown as having in that ad screenshot.... It was also changed for the Windows 95 release of M2, as you can see in random marathon pic #16. Interesting that WW is where we would have been headed next.

The smashing of the panels can be a pain on TC, and I do get that they are also not the most obvious things in the world, but again, have no memory of being majorly stuck on that part of the level first time through. Interestingly, as I discovered recently, you can hit the switch, and I think smash the panels, with missiles through the window from across the sewage pool ... not that it will do you much good.

And so we plummet (yawning) towards another failure. We are heading to M2's start but with several differences: we've just caused the damage to the Minor River, which we only read about in M2; we woke up earlier and have done enough smashing of Pfhor stuff to alert their fleet earlier in the piece; (and yet) Durandal has somehow managed to activate Thoth without our playing much of a part. That we munted the Pfhor armour platform would certainly change things when it came time for Sol, but ... we Ain't Got Time Pfhor This. And again, no thoughts of looking for S'pht myths or histories. We know nothing of the S'pht'Kr in this timeline ... although I think one still appears in Carroll Street Station, hmmm.

Thanks muchly to VBB (not the forum software) for these write-ups, great to get different takes on things; I believe I now retake the helm for a while, with VBB picking up again for the final set of dreams (?) and PS maybe taking By Committee and/or YTYBT ... any other takers for any other levels? Or ones I've just forgotten about? Cheers :).

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...VikingBoyBilly 4/8/14 5:47 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...VikingBoyBilly 4/8/14 6:25 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...PerseusSpartacus 4/8/14 8:24 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...Martin 4/8/14 11:59 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...PerseusSpartacus 4/8/14 5:29 p.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...Martin 4/8/14 8:24 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...VikingBoyBilly 4/9/14 7:04 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...Martin 4/9/14 9:55 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...PerseusSpartacus 4/9/14 11:52 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...VikingBoyBilly 4/9/14 1:41 p.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...Martin 4/9/14 1:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...VikingBoyBilly 4/9/14 3:14 p.m.
                                               Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...Martin 4/9/14 4:13 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Thing What Kicks...Hokuto 4/9/14 12:09 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.