/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

a native tribe who ambushed Charlemagne
Posted By: yacoDate: 3/30/14 10:26 a.m.

in the Historical & Mythological References in Marathon page, Wilson Miner <wminer@feist.com> writes: "The Basques were a native tribe who ambushed Charlemagne's army at the pass of Roncevalles in the Pyrenees Mountains."

hadn't seen that quote before. i'm pretty sure Basques do not consider themselves a "tribe"!

quoting from Wikipedia:

The Basque (Basque: euskaldunak; Spanish: vascos; French: basques) are an indigenous ethnic group who primarily inhabit an area traditionally known as the Basque Country (Basque: Euskal Herria), a region that is located around the western end of the Pyrenees on the coast of the Bay of Biscay and straddles parts of north-central Spain and south-western France.

i worked surrounded by basques some years ago, and even have some basque blood. i remember some things they used to be quite proud of, like the fact that they have been living at the same place (Euskal Herria) since prehistoric times, and that the Euskara language is one of the oldest living ones, and one of the few human languages that isn't derived from others, which makes it very difficult to learn. i certainly can imagine a bunch of rock-headed basques fighting off Charlemagne, in a show of bravery similar to Thermopylae :)

agur!

yaco\

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.