/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Freeverse and Aleph One 1.0
Posted By: HopperDate: 3/23/14 7:46 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely Go (PerseusSpartacus)

: it all makes a lot more sense to me.

Glad I could belatedly give credit where credit is due. We should have done a better job explaining everything back when 1.0 was released. To make a very long story short, it was a rough journey to the launch and all of us were exhausted by the time we reached the finish line.

Speaking of credit, I know of three Freeverse employees to thank for their contributions to Aleph One:

Bruce Morrison, producer on XBLA Durandal, was a Marathon map-maker back in 1998, and ran the PM Archive. For Aleph One, he did everything from cleaning up XBLA sprites in Photoshop to writing our 1.0 press release. Now he has his own business making iOS games.

Steven Tzé, creative director at Freeverse, was responsible for a lot of art and design. He made the SMG and Marathon 1 HUD to match with the original art. You can find a neat Durandal infographic at his website, and fan art from Mario to She-Hulk at DeviantArt.

Michael Watson, texture artist, ran Scenario News as "Patient Zero" and was apparently one of the conspirators behind the infamous glyph puzzle. I don't think he was part of the Aleph One 1.0 effort, but you can see his and Steven's work in the M2 hi-res textures.

Thanks also go to unnamed sources at Bungie, for granting permission for us to distribute the XBLA art and build all-in-one releases (and for sending me a lovely T-shirt), and to some expert on Marathon's story whose name slips my mind. ;)

If you want to learn more about the XBLA project, just like on Reading Rainbow, you don't have to take my word for it. An interview at Bungie.net tells the story of how Freeverse sold Bungie on the idea, and Mark Levin wrote a developer's postmortem on the project's successes and failures. It's fairly technical, but at the end he weighs in on whether the updated art was a good idea at all.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoVikingBoyBilly 3/22/14 7:29 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoHokuto 3/23/14 4:08 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoHopper 3/23/14 8:14 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoHokuto 3/23/14 9:01 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoVikingBoyBilly 3/23/14 10:35 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoGodot 3/23/14 7:51 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoPerseusSpartacus 3/23/14 8:55 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoHopper 3/23/14 9:18 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoGodot 3/23/14 9:54 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely Goyaco 3/28/14 11:19 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely Goyaco 3/28/14 11:23 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoGodot 3/28/14 11:30 a.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoGodot 3/28/14 11:55 a.m.
                                         Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoMartin 3/28/14 1:14 p.m.
                                         Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoHokuto 3/28/14 2:52 p.m.
                                         Seventh place, woo! *NM*Bob-B-Q 3/29/14 7:15 a.m.
                                               Re: Seventh place, woo!Godot 3/29/14 7:43 a.m.
                                                     Re: Seventh place, woo!PerseusSpartacus 3/29/14 9:32 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoPerseusSpartacus 3/23/14 11:53 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoMartin 3/23/14 12:36 p.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoPerseusSpartacus 3/23/14 3:25 p.m.
                                   Freeverse and Aleph One 1.0Hopper 3/23/14 7:46 p.m.
                                         Re: Freeverse and Aleph One 1.0Dispatcher 3/24/14 6:26 a.m.
                                               Hi-res texturesHopper 3/24/14 9:02 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoDocument 3/25/14 8:20 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoHopper 3/23/14 9:02 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoMartin 3/23/14 11:05 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoMartin 3/24/14 1:27 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Where Some Rarely GoVikingBoyBilly 3/24/14 7:52 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.