/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreams
Posted By: GodotDate: 3/8/14 2:45 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreams (Hopper)

: I often wonder: if Double Aught had been given another three months to polish
: it, would Infinity hold together better? Or did time constraints keep it
: from expanding until it collapsed under its own weight?

If it expanded anymore it probably would have gone rampant. ;)

It was originally planned as a 20 level scenario which grew to 30 levels, according to Tuncer.

The three dream levels were carefully crafted with two paths. One obvious (easy path), the other less obvious (hard path). This offers the player a choice. But it is only an illusion of choice since the player will always end up on the next timeline.

The original intent of Infinity was a nonlinear game. "Never-before-used enhancements will free the player from the strict linearity of previous games..." While the story is certainly nonlinear the game play is not.

Does ending up on one of the Aye Mak Sicur variants confer the player with some advantage? A better understanding of the story? More familiarity of the layout prior to the full version (final level)? Or was it simply meant to signify failure? On taking the path to failure, perhaps the original intent was to dump you back to Electric Sheep to find another path (stay the hard way) ... this time to a new timeline?

I am reminded of the first time I saw Richard Kelly's film Donnie Darko. I was like... WTF. Then I saw the Director's Cut version and I was like... ah! that all makes sense.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever see the Director's Cut of Infinity.

Cheers
Hamish

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsHokuto 3/7/14 6:48 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsGodot 3/7/14 8:01 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsHokuto 3/7/14 11:10 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsGodot 3/7/14 12:34 p.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsHopper 3/7/14 3:16 p.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsGodot 3/8/14 2:45 a.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsHokuto 3/8/14 5:55 a.m.
                                         Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsMartin 3/9/14 3:35 a.m.
                                               Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsGodot 3/9/14 4:08 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsVikingBoyBilly 3/7/14 8:17 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsHokuto 3/7/14 12:21 p.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsMartin 3/9/14 12:52 p.m.
                 Re: PiD soldierDocument 6/5/23 10:06 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsMartin 3/7/14 12:01 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsHokuto 3/7/14 12:23 p.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsMartin 3/9/14 5:35 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsConroy 3/25/18 1:07 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsShining Raven 3/25/18 10:54 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.