/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreams
Posted By: VikingBoyBillyDate: 3/7/14 8:17 a.m.

In Response To: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreams (Hokuto)

That's some great analysis on the terminals.

There's almost no doubt in my mind that these are more Gheritt White memories, but Durandal's mind getting mixed in there is a thing I never thought to consider. It holds some credence, because the Gheritt White term in M1 wasn't in a dream. It was a message from... something other than the player. The most probable source is Durandal (with Leela being non-rampant, Tycho offline, and what kind of sick human would write that other than Greg K. or Jason Jones?). Therein the thing to consider is... how would Durandal know this?

Well, I'll link to the story pages on Durandal (and part 2) and Tycho and tell you to command+f/Ctrl+f the word "traxus."

TL;DR: There's a theory that Durandal and Tycho are split reboots of Traxus IV and the security officer was one of the battleroids used to shut down the rampant AI and tested in that battle on the two asteroids, which would explain why hearing Durandal's banter and stepping into the Marathon's staging area felt familiar, as if from an old dream. (the line could also be taken as a vague recollection of PiD, if you subscribe to the theory that Security Officer = PiD soldier)

From this we can draw theories that the player and previous versions of the AIs have had a working relationship pre-M1, even so far as taking orders for mass genocide. The first time I read Durandal and Tycho's conversation on Low Flying Defense Drones, I thought Tycho was referring to the asteroid slaughter he just described when he told Durandal the humans that were killed deserved vengeance (and doesn't it make sense to conclude that the player must be one of these powerful cyborgs he described to explain why you're such a badass, else why would backstory like that even be presented in the game's narrative?).

ANYWAY, I'm going to quit beating around the bush here and just come out and say that I believe the player (Gheritt white??) made those de-limbed corpses on hangar 96 and it's one of his memories from the asteroid battle when he was tested. Since he got implanted memories of a life on Mars when he got smuggled into the Marathon, Durandal (or Robert Strauss?) was able to harvest his suppressed memories and they exist as obscure data packets in the deepest recesses of Durandal's hard drive (if technology in the 2300s even use such things) and the player's amnesiac mind has those memories rendered down to faintly familiar dreams he can't even fully recall, and I just wasted this huge analysis on a comment instead of saving it for my Eat The Path write up.

But I have my own dissent on how the Security Officer could possibly be the PiD soldier from the 20th century. Will we have the technology to revive him as a cyborg when he becomes a corpse before he rots away? How old is he? He can't be too old, because he looks fit enough in Marathon to be in his 20s or 30s (in physically relative terms, I mean, not counting the years after his death). But that's also where I'd guess his age is in PiD. He could be an old man by now and not dead yet... very little makes sense about how the theory is plausible, but I do believe it IS plausible with enough rationalization.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsHokuto 3/7/14 6:48 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsGodot 3/7/14 8:01 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsHokuto 3/7/14 11:10 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsGodot 3/7/14 12:34 p.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsHopper 3/7/14 3:16 p.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsGodot 3/8/14 2:45 a.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsHokuto 3/8/14 5:55 a.m.
                                         Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsMartin 3/9/14 3:35 a.m.
                                               Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsGodot 3/9/14 4:08 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsVikingBoyBilly 3/7/14 8:17 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsHokuto 3/7/14 12:21 p.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsMartin 3/9/14 12:52 p.m.
                 Re: PiD soldierDocument 6/5/23 10:06 a.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsMartin 3/7/14 12:01 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsHokuto 3/7/14 12:23 p.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsMartin 3/9/14 5:35 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsConroy 3/25/18 1:07 a.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty: Where are monsters in dreamsShining Raven 3/25/18 10:54 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.