/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation Movie
Posted By: AntarcticoDate: 8/22/13 6:41 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation Movie (FiddlerOnARoof)

: Kind of off-topic, but speaking of vid movies (I've seen some of yours---good
: work!)...

Thanks! :)

: ...the best vids I've ever seen are not on the awesome Vidmaster
: page, but here: http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1758

: You will also need this map package from Simplic7y to view them:
: http://simplici7y.com/items/kill-them-all

I will be sure to check them out!

: and remember to set your film playback mode to "Aleph One". Even
: those these films are six years old, they contain some of the most
: violent, ass-whooping, and efficient use of weapons I've ever seen in
: Marathon. Another thing, there is an impromptu quality about these films
: that I don't see in others; nothing seems staged at all. Just some major
: skills at work, and by none other than perhaps the most skilled mapmaker
: in the history of Marathon.

I prefer loose looking vids where there is a dynamic feeling of the player triumphing over chaos.

: Of course, the quality of a vid film is a matter of taste. Back in the day,
: doing everything the hardest way possible, fists only, was treasured, and
: Dr. John Sumner was the epitome of this venerable tradition. What he does
: is incredibly hard and takes lots of patience....

From what I've seen, the old school vidmasters were all keyboarders, and in Marathon with its look down bug I don't see how it could have been any other way, but using a keyboard makes every turn a mechanically smooth pivot and this gives the videos a kind of cold, inorganic, machine ballet quality. Also, not to take away from the vidmasters' technical achievement, patience, and skill, but it does not take watching all that many of the old videos before they start kind of running together into a same old, same old, no ammo blur. But, you have to keep in mind that BITD these old videos served another purpose in addition to infotainment, they were bonafides for bragging rights and proofs of prowess -- they weren't meant to be judged just by how much fun they were to watch.

Two old vids that I remember inspiring me BITD were Jason Jones vidding Eat It Vid Boi, this one video goaded me to finally to work at getting good with my fists, and a random video of Try Again showing Jugs getting punched -- that was quite a WTF-am-I-seeing moment the first time I saw it. :)

: ...I personally like the films
: that deliver the most punishment in as spectacular a way as possible.
: Perhaps this is a minority view, but I'd encourage all of you to take a
: look at the films.

To be fair, given ammo and weapons constraints, the MI Vidmaster Challenge levels being an exception, it is hard to get too bullet storm spectacular vidding the original games. :)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/19/13 1:21 a.m.
     Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/19/13 7:28 a.m.
           Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/19/13 10:56 a.m.
                 Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation Movietreellama 8/19/13 11:39 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/19/13 11:53 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/19/13 12:37 p.m.
                 Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/19/13 11:56 a.m.
                 Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieFiddlerOnARoof 8/21/13 8:56 p.m.
                       Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieDr. John Sumner 8/22/13 3:49 a.m.
                             Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/22/13 5:15 a.m.
                                   Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieDr. John Sumner 8/22/13 5:28 a.m.
                                         Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/22/13 5:53 a.m.
                                               Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieDr. John Sumner 8/22/13 6:11 a.m.
                                                     Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/22/13 6:19 a.m.
                                         Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/22/13 6:49 a.m.
                                               Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieDr. John Sumner 8/22/13 8:39 a.m.
                                                     Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/22/13 9:11 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/22/13 6:41 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.