/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation Movie
Posted By: AntarcticoDate: 8/19/13 10:56 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation Movie (Godot)

: Thanks got it to work...

Nothing like an old-school .sit archive BinHex encoded. It is like it's 1996 all over again.

: ...Yes indeed, you got the Compilers to come up. One of
: the aliens got a shot off while on the Glue poly, thus activating the
: Compilers below. I've not been able to replicate this myself. But I see
: what you did, moved forward jamming them in over the Glue poly for
: longer. Which makes perfect sense given that we now know how the
: fight scene is set up.

: Looking at the 4 existing Vid films of this level, the players never let the
: aliens exit the secret room. They are all mowed down where they stand.

The only Vidmaster film of Phoraphobia I've seen was the Jim Mitchel version and only just yesterday as it was finally put up on YouTube. And, how nice it is that those old films are up in a more convenient format. :)

: Using the Tuncer Deniz method of springing the trap and running back
: will definitely not activate the Compilers as no shots will be fired
: as the aliens exit the room.

In the original game, yes. You have to stand at the trigger poly or move slightly forward while engaging the Pfhor for the Compilers to come up.

: In beta 3, the aliens are little bit faster on the draw I find. Just enough
: to get a shot off as they exit. Thus the Compilers are activated more
: times than not compare to the original game.

I have to wonder why they seem quicker on the draw. Is there is some sort of engine value for monster activation delay that is quicker for the M2 Enforcers vs. the original, or is this is some unintended quirk of running an old game on a new-ish engine, or something else?

Also, please consider this -- try testing this in the beta with Hopper's Classic Limits plugin. If you do not clear out the first closet in advance, but trigger the trap and run back, you should find that there will be fewer incidences of Compilers flying up to the corridor early, and sometimes when they do, rather than pursue you, they will become "forgetful" and cluster around the lip of the corridor overlooking the throne room.

It is my contention that a good deal of the differences in play in this trap between the beta and the original are due to the higher default AI engine limits of Aleph One. The plugin sets these to M2 defaults, and this makes for some interesting changes in how this area can play out.

: This will make Vidding this level more difficult as you can't reach the
: two alien weapons drop by the Enforcers in the second secret room
: before the Compilers come up. But hey!... Vidmasters like a challenge.

If someone wants easy, that's what Kindergarten is for. ;)

: I also noticed you used that *cough* technique of punching fighters
: through the door. I wonder where you picked that *cough* habit up?

You've got me on that one. I have truthfully not seen that many vid movies over the years, and I only remembered this tip recently when I was vidding Defend THIS! for beta 1. I think I might have picked this up during my map making days. Thin polys can have all sorts of odd behaviors. Normally, I don't like working doors too much, but I was having fits from the original mouse controls, and I needed all the tricky help I could get. Still, it is rather funny, in a childish way, to have your punches be so mighty they blast right through doors. :)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/19/13 1:21 a.m.
     Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/19/13 7:28 a.m.
           Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/19/13 10:56 a.m.
                 Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation Movietreellama 8/19/13 11:39 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/19/13 11:53 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/19/13 12:37 p.m.
                 Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/19/13 11:56 a.m.
                 Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieFiddlerOnARoof 8/21/13 8:56 p.m.
                       Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieDr. John Sumner 8/22/13 3:49 a.m.
                             Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/22/13 5:15 a.m.
                                   Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieDr. John Sumner 8/22/13 5:28 a.m.
                                         Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/22/13 5:53 a.m.
                                               Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieDr. John Sumner 8/22/13 6:11 a.m.
                                                     Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieGodot 8/22/13 6:19 a.m.
                                         Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/22/13 6:49 a.m.
                                               Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieDr. John Sumner 8/22/13 8:39 a.m.
                                                     Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/22/13 9:11 a.m.
                       Re: Pfhoaphobia -- Compiler Activation MovieAntarctico 8/22/13 6:41 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.