/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting Acti
Posted By: AntarcticoDate: 7/19/13 3:46 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting Acti (PerseusSpartacus)

: Slight bit of digression, I know, but Jim Mitchell is truly inspiring in
: terms of technique. If you watch his films of Six Thousand Feet Under or
: Sorry Don't Make It So, you can see that he figures out the 'groove' of
: each monster and exploits it to its fullest. With F'lickta, it's dodge
: right, punch, move left, punch, dodge right, punch, move left, etc. With
: Cyborgs, he just circles around continually, punching as fast as he can
: and ensuring that every grenade they fire ends up going to his left. It's
: consistent, simple, fluid, and reliable. Truly impressive, IMHO.

I checked out both videos. I was momentarily amazed to see him using only the keyboard, but then I reminded myself just how shitty the mouse response/feel was in all three Marathons and, as a result, how many vidmasters BITD did keyboard. Frankly, the mouse feel is only moderately better in Aleph One although, perhaps, it is the 30 fps cap that makes the unaccelerated Aleph One mouse feel seem so abrupt in comparison to contemporary games.

About the videos, both impressive demonstrations of core vid mechanics, particularly using the cyborgs and enforcers against themselves to do most of the heavy lifting in Sorry Don't Make It So, and then in Six Thousand Feet Under cruising through the first half of the level without taking a scratch -- woo! The only two nits I have to pick would be Jim was hugging the shield recharger a little hard and tight in Sorry Don't Make It So, and in Six Thousand Feet Under he seriously reduced the vid-ness of his performance when he went back to the lava flood switch near the end six times or so trying to flood out the tele-spawning Mr. Cyborgs. But then again, these movies are almost 20 years old, and at this point ol' Jim most likely has kids in high school, so I should probably just STFU. ;)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rampant Double Fisting Action!!!Godot 7/16/13 11:26 p.m.
     Re: Rampant Double Fisting Action!!!Narcogen 7/16/13 11:54 p.m.
           Re: Rampant Double Fisting Action!!!PerseusSpartacus 7/17/13 4:10 a.m.
                 Re: Rampant Double Fisting Action!!!Narcogen 7/17/13 4:24 p.m.
     Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting Action!)Antarctico 7/18/13 12:11 p.m.
           Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting ActiGodot 7/18/13 12:51 p.m.
                 Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting ActiAntarctico 7/18/13 1:01 p.m.
                       Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting ActiGodot 7/18/13 1:20 p.m.
                             Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting ActiAntarctico 7/18/13 3:05 p.m.
                                   Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting ActiPerseusSpartacus 7/18/13 3:24 p.m.
                                         Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting ActiAntarctico 7/19/13 3:46 a.m.
                                               Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting ActiPerseusSpartacus 7/19/13 12:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting ActiGodot 7/19/13 1:17 a.m.
                                         Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting ActiAntarctico 7/19/13 3:50 a.m.
           Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting ActiNarcogen 7/19/13 3:00 a.m.
                 Re: Lone Fisting (was: Rampant Double Fisting ActiAntarctico 7/19/13 3:56 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.