/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns Nearby
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 7/7/12 1:48 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns Nearby (PerseusSpartacus)

: Yes, but eventually you'll get bored especially when the AI is as poor as it
: is in Marathon.

You can get bored of anything "eventually", that's not really an argument.

As I said before, you won't get bored by the AI if you engage the game beyond the superficial level (also, playing with crosshairs "on" gives you a significant advantage over the AI which may be part of why you think it's "poor").

: Now, the first level of Halo actually has a lot of replay
: value, but only because the AI will do new things each time you play. In
: Marathon, you can just learn the same old cycle for a level. Lather,
: rinse, repeat.

You should look deeper into that first level, maybe you'll get more out of it.

The enemies do "new things" only on a superficial level. Whether an enemy goes left or right, advances or retreats, doesn't really change the way you play except in terms of superficial minutia. That whole "lather, rinse, repeat" you're talking about and learning "the same old cycle for a level", that's true of just about every single video game ever made ever including Halo.

: Heh, I never played Marathon. Just Aleph One. ;)

For all intents and purposes, Aleph One is Marathon.

: This is why I like the fog in M1A1; it makes the game even better.

I suppose you also think explosions make a movie better and large breasts make a woman more important.

: If the game plays the same, I don't care if the aesthetics are different.

That's the thing. Crosshairs aren't aesthetic; they change the way the game plays completely.

I'm not trying to be some die-hard Marathon elitist here. I really think you're robbing yourself of much of the experience by playing with crosshairs in single player. New texture packs, enhanced visuals, that's all understandable. Fog? Well, I don't see where you're coming from there, but sure, whatever floats your boat. However, the crosshairs are a real game changer and you'll enjoy the game a lot more without them because that's how it was designed to be played. As a comparison, imagine someone told you they were playing Halo, but it was a version that let them lock onto the head of their target when shooting, so they always got headshots. And then they said that the AI was poor.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 6/29/12 12:07 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyGodot 6/29/12 12:26 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 6/29/12 1:14 p.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyGodot 6/29/12 1:23 p.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 6/29/12 1:34 p.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns Nearbytreellama 6/29/12 2:12 p.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 6/29/12 2:38 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyYossarian 7/3/12 12:43 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyJabberwok 7/6/12 6:17 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 7/6/12 8:33 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns Nearbytreellama 7/6/12 9:02 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 7/6/12 12:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPhiltron 7/6/12 3:16 p.m.
                                         Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 7/6/12 7:04 p.m.
                                               Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPhiltron 7/7/12 1:48 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 7/7/12 4:28 p.m.
                                                           Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyJabberwok 7/10/12 4:04 a.m.
                                               Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyJabberwok 7/10/12 3:54 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns Nearbytreellama 7/6/12 9:32 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 7/6/12 12:24 p.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyJabberwok 7/10/12 3:50 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 7/10/12 7:41 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.