/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns Nearby
Posted By: PerseusSpartacusDate: 7/6/12 12:14 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns Nearby (treellama)

: Did we play the same Halo? I remember the engine dumping tons of Flood on me
: indiscriminately, sometimes immediately after having deactivated my
: shield. Over and over again, repetition apparently being a primary design
: guideline of Halo.

I mean the early parts of Halo. You know, before the Flood appear. I admit that the Flood really changed the gameplay into a repetitive cycle. However, the Covenant were much more interesting; on lower difficulties, the combat between you and them is often a carefully orchestrated battle. On harder difficulties, it's a lot more visceral though, I must admit. In Marathon, I enjoy spouts of ballet with fists. I can almost imagine classical music playing as I run around the Pfhor ranks, punching Fighters as I run. ;)

: By contrast, for most levels Marathon 2's enemies are placed by hand (even
: Begging for Mercy). If I Had a Rocket Launcher is a pretty fun level, but
: you don't just copy and paste it to make a complete game.

Placed by hand, eh? Doesn't that limit the replay ability of levels? I mean, once you've played a level, you know what you're up against at every turn the next time you play. On the other hand, in some of the middle and later levels, Halo often has the same numbers and kinds of enemies spawning and then moving to places so that you don't know if the enemy coming from your left is a Jackal or an Elite until you actually look. Marathon lacks anything like this. The only difference in enemy count and spawning in Marathon is based on difficulty level, and that's not really what I'm talking about.

Cheers,
Perseus

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 6/29/12 12:07 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyGodot 6/29/12 12:26 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 6/29/12 1:14 p.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyGodot 6/29/12 1:23 p.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 6/29/12 1:34 p.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns Nearbytreellama 6/29/12 2:12 p.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 6/29/12 2:38 p.m.
     Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyYossarian 7/3/12 12:43 p.m.
           Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyJabberwok 7/6/12 6:17 a.m.
                 Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 7/6/12 8:33 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns Nearbytreellama 7/6/12 9:02 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 7/6/12 12:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPhiltron 7/6/12 3:16 p.m.
                                         Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 7/6/12 7:04 p.m.
                                               Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPhiltron 7/7/12 1:48 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 7/7/12 4:28 p.m.
                                                           Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyJabberwok 7/10/12 4:04 a.m.
                                               Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyJabberwok 7/10/12 3:54 a.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns Nearbytreellama 7/6/12 9:32 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 7/6/12 12:24 p.m.
                       Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyJabberwok 7/10/12 3:50 a.m.
                             Re: Tour of Duty - Bigger Guns NearbyPerseusSpartacus 7/10/12 7:41 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.