/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PiD Weapon Damage
Posted By: Ron HunsingerDate: 6/23/12 11:56 p.m.

In Response To: Re: PiD Weapon Damage (Earthtopus)

: a question: is the "shotgun" spread for the Crystal and frag
: grenades the same? That's a wider arc than I'd been trusting for the
: grenades, to be sure.

Yes. In fact, now that I know the code simplifies to "middle half", I played with a game I saved on Ascension that captured some Phantasms at known locations on Evil Undead Phantasms Must Die. I was able to consistently hit a Phantasm with the blue crystal even though there was a Headless much closer to me. Just turn to put the Headless in the left quarter of the screen, and fire.

I suppose it's time to document the crystal behaviors.

The Yellow Crystal, of course, does no damage.

The Green Crystal hits all hunters, regardless of distance or direction. It can even hit hunters behind you or behind walls. But remember, although there can be as many as 60 critters on each level, at most 12 of them can be "hunters" (my term) at any one time. Only a hunter can have a strategy, only a hunter can attack, only a hunter can be animated, only a hunter can be hit. All the other critters on a level may as well be moss on the wall as far as the game cares. Roughly speaking, critters become hunters when they're born, when your light touches them or a sector next to the one they're in, when you get within two sector of them, or when they hear a shout and are not in an ambush zone. Hunters stop being hunters when you leave the level, or whenever they can't see a path to you (they do not actually have to see you), or whenever there are 12 other hunters nearer to you, or when they're dead. A dying hunter remains a hunter until it's dead, so that its death throes can be animated (and so it can act as a shield against the knife), but otherwise may as well not be there. Flying rats and amphibians are neither critters nor hunters.

The Violet Crystal has exactly the same fire pattern as the frag grenades. It'll hit every hunter any part of which is visible in the middle half of the screen.

The other crystals have the same middle-of-the-screen spread, but only hit the nearest such hunter.

Remember that you can't see beyond the range of your light, or through secret walls. If you can't see it, you can't hit it. You are, however, assumed to be able to see through anything that isn't a wall. Pillars, for example. Some are short enough for you to see over; the game assumes you can see through (and shoot through) all of them.

Crystal damage is chosen randomly (using a uniform distribution) from the following ranges:

Blue 20..34
Yellow N/A
Orange 55..64
Violet 90..119
Green 100..199
Black 10000..10999

Crystal damage is not affected by distance. The Violet and Green crystals, which can hit more than one hunter, calculate the damage independently for each one.

Hitting a hunter that is immune to that crystal does zero damage, but still counts as a hit.

The Purple Barney, Venomous Oozes, and Dreaming God are immune to everything (except at the end when the Dreaming God becomes vulnerable to weapons but still not to crystals). Other immunities are:

Blue: Oozes and Shocking Spheres
Orange: Shocking Spheres
Violet: Wraiths and Shocking Spheres
Green: Nightmares, Phantasms, Wraiths, Shocking Spheres, Ghasts, Greater Nightmares.
Black: none.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PiD Weapon DamageRon Hunsinger 6/20/12 4:12 p.m.
     Re: PiD Weapon DamagePerseusSpartacus 6/20/12 4:44 p.m.
           Re: PiD Weapon DamageRon Hunsinger 6/20/12 7:27 p.m.
     Re: PiD Weapon DamageRon Hunsinger 6/20/12 7:38 p.m.
           Re: PiD Weapon DamageEarthtopus 6/23/12 6:19 p.m.
     Re: PiD Weapon DamageEarthtopus 6/23/12 6:21 p.m.
           Re: PiD Weapon DamageRon Hunsinger 6/23/12 11:56 p.m.
                 Re: PiD Weapon DamageEarthtopus 6/26/12 10:18 a.m.
                       Re: PiD Weapon DamageRon Hunsinger 6/26/12 9:44 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.