/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Bob Cluster Phenomena
Posted By: PerseusSpartacusDate: 4/14/12 11:23 a.m.

In Response To: Re: The Bob Cluster Phenomena (Godot)

: I'll let the engine experts answer your questions with more aplomb than me.

: But every action in Marathon is determined (predetermined) by the player's
: keystrokes. That's why a saved film (keystroke file) will always play back
: the game's action in exactly the same way. It's akin to those automatic
: pianos which use a mechanical drum to play the notes. It plays back the
: music exactly the same way every time.

: On a side note and taking this to its logical conclusion there must be a
: perfect set of keystrokes to play the perfect game of Marathon. Much akin
: to the concert pianist who strives to play that perfect concerto. For the
: Vidmaster this is the holy grail.

Aye. Shall we send our knights to find it? ;)

Actually, you're not taking into account the fact that monsters don't do the same thing every time. Monster movements, at times, seem to be quite random, dictated only by the rule of paths and path-building. If the "perfect game of Marathon" involves not getting blocked by a monster and/or not getting wounded, then there is no "perfect game". This is probably especially true for The Rose; even if the Pfhor and Hulks were simply chasing after their foes, the Bobs move completely randomly (aside from being dictated by paths, of course), thus making the Pfhor and Hulks move in completely unpredictable ways and preventing such a "perfect game" from existing. You'd have to be really, really, really lucky and know the perfect set of keystrokes in order to achieve such a "perfect game of Marathon".

Returning to the subject of 'monster paths', I made myself a diagram of where the monster paths were in the main area of The Rose, and after counting the paths on one side, multiplying by two (the number of paths is the same on each side of the underpass) and adding one (the path that goes through the middle of the underpass), I believe the number of paths is 37.

Unfortunately, HTML has to be able to find the diagram online, but I can't put it up. :(

Interesting fact: there are two Pentagrams, made out of Monster paths, on each side of the underpass. If you make your own diagram, you'll see what I mean.

Still Eating the Path,
PerseusSpartacus

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Bob Cluster PhenomenaPerseusSpartacus 4/13/12 8:38 p.m.
     Re: The Bob Cluster Phenomena *LINK*PerseusSpartacus 4/13/12 9:35 p.m.
           Re: The Bob Cluster PhenomenaGodot 4/13/12 10:49 p.m.
                 Re: The Bob Cluster PhenomenaPerseusSpartacus 4/14/12 11:23 a.m.
                 Re: The Bob Cluster PhenomenaQuantum 4/14/12 2:31 p.m.
                       Re: The Bob Cluster PhenomenaPerseusSpartacus 4/14/12 3:26 p.m.
                             Re: The Bob Cluster Phenomenatreellama 4/15/12 6:49 a.m.
                       Re: The Bob Cluster Phenomenatreellama 4/15/12 6:47 a.m.
                             Re: The Bob Cluster PhenomenaPerseusSpartacus 4/15/12 10:59 a.m.
                                   Re: The Bob Cluster Phenomenatreellama 4/15/12 1:17 p.m.
                                         Re: The Bob Cluster PhenomenaPerseusSpartacus 4/15/12 3:45 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.