/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Bob Cluster Phenomena *LINK*
Posted By: PerseusSpartacusDate: 4/13/12 9:35 p.m.

In Response To: The Bob Cluster Phenomena (PerseusSpartacus)

: My guess is that once the Bobs are alerted by the sound of gunfire, or are
: wounded, they choose a random direction to start running in, but sometimes
: the direction that gets chosen happens to lead straight into another Bob in
: their cluster, at which point they remain clustered.

When I said "random direction", that wasn't actually a good description of what was going on. If you've seen Hastur's Workshop Things - Monster Path Building, you'll know that monster movement (including that of Bobs) is based on the transparent lines in-between polygons (was that redundant?).

If you haven't seen it, grab a cup of coffee and go here.

Done reading that? Okay, back to the point at hand. So, there would be a couple set paths between the transparent lines surrounding polygons, and Bobs will only use those to move about. When I said "they choose a random direction to start running in", I really should have said "they randomly choose a path to start running along."

What creates the clusters in the first place is the fact that two Bobs may choose to run in the opposite directions along the same path, causing them to run into each-other and become 'stuck', creating a mini-cluster which may eventually build up to be larger and larger. I once ended up with a cluster of 6 Bobs all together!

I'll let you figure out why some of the Bobs stay 'clustered' even after a gunshot. ;)

Teleport now,
PerseusSpartacus

P.S. - If someone could make a diagram (in Forge or Weland or whatever) of where Bob clusters can occur, based on Monster movement like I was talking about, that would be great. Thanks.

There's a Reason Pfhor Are So Predictable...

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Bob Cluster PhenomenaPerseusSpartacus 4/13/12 8:38 p.m.
     Re: The Bob Cluster Phenomena *LINK*PerseusSpartacus 4/13/12 9:35 p.m.
           Re: The Bob Cluster PhenomenaGodot 4/13/12 10:49 p.m.
                 Re: The Bob Cluster PhenomenaPerseusSpartacus 4/14/12 11:23 a.m.
                 Re: The Bob Cluster PhenomenaQuantum 4/14/12 2:31 p.m.
                       Re: The Bob Cluster PhenomenaPerseusSpartacus 4/14/12 3:26 p.m.
                             Re: The Bob Cluster Phenomenatreellama 4/15/12 6:49 a.m.
                       Re: The Bob Cluster Phenomenatreellama 4/15/12 6:47 a.m.
                             Re: The Bob Cluster PhenomenaPerseusSpartacus 4/15/12 10:59 a.m.
                                   Re: The Bob Cluster Phenomenatreellama 4/15/12 1:17 p.m.
                                         Re: The Bob Cluster PhenomenaPerseusSpartacus 4/15/12 3:45 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.