/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

The Jjaro/Yrro and Pthia
Posted By: PerseusSpartacusDate: 4/9/12 8:57 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Thoth's Origins and the Jjaro (chiasaur11)

: Not like myth and fact are 100% exclusive.

: Lot of history only survived as myth or connected to religious text. Troy was
: a real city, but for centuries the Illiad was the only public evidence it
: ever existed. Same with a lot of biblical cities.

: Ares probably didn't come down from the heavens to get his ass kicked by
: Diomedes. Myth has a lot of cruft. But it's a lot better than working from
: nothing.

You actually have a really good point there. Reliability is never 100%. As Durandal once said, "Don't believe everything you read." ;)

Now, broadening the topic a little bit right now, I'd like to throw out a crazy idea real fast. As I believe Hamish has mentioned before (maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but I think it was Hamish), Yrro and Jjaro are just different spellings of the same phonetic word. Yrro is an individual but Jjaro is a race? What?! The same word meaning two different things? What if the terminals referring to Yrro are just generalizing? In other words, what if there is no individual Yrro? What if the reference to Yrro was a metaphor?

Now what if that same logic extended to Pthia? At this point you're probably thinking 'Woah, woah, what are you talking about? What is this Yrro 'myth' a metapfhor of?' (See what I did there? ;)

To see what it is a metaphor of, we'll look at some text from Six Thousand Feet Under... (Terminal 4):

"Fleeing all W'rkncacnter, Yrro and Pthia
settled upon Lh'owon. They brought the
S'pht, servants who began to shape the
deserts of Lh'owon into marsh and sea,
rivers and forests. They made sisters for
Lh'owon to protect and maintain the paradise."

Since Yrro = Jjaro and Jjaro is a race, we could assume the Jjaro and Pthia are both races, fleeing the W'rkncacnter together. Perhaps as an experiment or something, they collect the S'pht from some other place and put them on Lh'owon. The S'pht, as servants, utilized the Jjaro/Pthian machines to terraform Lh'owon. Now, the use of the word 'They' in the next sentence is interesting. Does it mean the S'pht, or does it mean the Jjaro/Pthia? I like to think it means the Jjaro/Pthia. They, via their amazing technology, either warped distant moons to enter Lh'owon's orbit, or created new ones.

"When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was
killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the
W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned
them, but they swam on its surface."

It's possible that all the Pthia and their ships were destroyed when the W'rkncacnter. Enraged at the destruction of their ally, the Jjaro turned their technology against the W'rkncacnter and warped them into the sun. What's odd is how it says 'they swam on its surface', yet they (the W'rkncacnter) seem to have been all the way inside the core of the sun. Just a thought.

"Yrro became an angry master, bleeding for
his failure, grieving for the loss of
Pthia. He broke the S'pht into eleven
clans, and spread them over Lh'owon."

The 'angry master' part is odd and hard to understand (given how it's supposed to be a metaphor), but 'grieving for the loss of Pthia' is obvious. The Jjaro felt sorrow and grief at the loss of their ally. The rest is obvious in everything but the reasons. In other words, the only puzzle about the last part is why the Jjaro split the S'pht into eleven clans.

"I Yrro, who was your master, have failed
to preserve you. Take your royalty to
guide you, and live upon the paradise that
you built for me."

The phrase 'failed to preserve you' is interesting, in that it implies the S'pht weren't preserved, at least not well. Perhaps the W'rkncacnter did more damage than we thought. Also, the bit about 'royalty' implies that the S'pht had royalty even though they were just servants to the Jjaro and Pthia. Maybe they were more powerful as servants than we thought they were. Just a thought.

I know my theory has no evidence other than the fact that Yrro and Jjaro are the same word, but it's fun anyways, I think. Plus, it may make a bit more sense of the idea that the Jjaro are a race, and it also provides the question "What about the Pthia? Where is all their technology?"

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Thoth's Origins and the JjaroPerseusSpartacus 4/8/12 8:39 p.m.
     Re: Thoth's Origins and the JjaroGodot 4/9/12 1:38 a.m.
           Re: Thoth's Origins and the JjaroPerseusSpartacus 4/9/12 9:35 a.m.
                 Re: Thoth's Origins and the JjaroHopper 4/9/12 12:53 p.m.
                       Re: Thoth's Origins and the JjaroPerseusSpartacus 4/9/12 2:23 p.m.
                             Re: Thoth's Origins and the Jjarochiasaur11 4/9/12 3:56 p.m.
                                   The Jjaro/Yrro and PthiaPerseusSpartacus 4/9/12 8:57 p.m.
                                         Re: The Jjaro/Yrro and PthiaBob-B-Q 4/10/12 10:38 a.m.
                                               On the W'rkncacnterPerseusSpartacus 4/10/12 11:36 a.m.
                 Re: Thoth's Origins and the JjaroGodot 4/9/12 10:59 p.m.
                       Re: Thoth's Origins and the JjaroGodot 4/9/12 11:16 p.m.
                 Re: Thoth's Origins and the JjaroPerseusSpartacus 4/10/12 3:09 p.m.
                       Re: Thoth's Origins and the JjaroQuantum 4/12/12 3:20 p.m.
                             Re: Thoth's Origins and the JjaroPerseusSpartacus 4/12/12 10:23 p.m.
                                   Re: Thoth's Origins and the JjaroQuantum 4/13/12 1:08 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.