/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Consipracy Theory, AI the Movie, & Zartman
Posted By: poenadareDate: 12/8/11 8:49 a.m.

So, some of you may have noticed Hamish posting some old gems for Bungie Sightings and other places. I thought to myself, "why hoard all that old mail?" So I'm rooting around in my mailbox to see what else I've hidden away for nearly ten years.

My brief stint at Bungie Sightings gave me an inkling of the insanity Hamish must deal with. For example:

Subject: Don't shout me down too quickly now....
Date: Sun, May 6, 2001 at 1:09 AM
To: Matthew

O.K.....hear me out before you rush to deny things. My name's Josh Weinberger, and I'm a freelance writer at The New Yorker...

I've been trying to play catch-up on a story that I should have been out in front of, considering I saw those damned hashmarks in the "A.I." poster back in late March or early April (I forget exactly), and I never did anything about it....

So every news organization and its multinational mother has been "breaking" stories on this for the last three weeks, and I've been trying to come up with some actual "news."

The studios involved are (predictably) mum, and the sites are all creatively registered to various members of the "Ghaepetto" family (nice touch, that) -- all women with the names arranged alphabetically
Anna (2 sites)
Bianca (11 sites)
Carla (17 sites)
Daniella (15 sites)

They all seem to dead end with fake phone numbers and (I assume) fake mailing addresses -- though it was cute that all the dummy phone numbers come with area codes that accurately match the fake addresses.

So, here goes --

When I get past the dummy registrations -- which I was only able to do on a couple of sites -- I managed to discover that DOUG ZARTMAN's name comes up...

...and that you and he are somehow connected to gaming and publicity and -- most importantly -- BUNGIE SOFTWARE...

(I now that Doug is (or at least was, at one point) an employee...and, from what I can glean from online searching, you seem to be (at the very least) an aficionado of their games).....

...and I know that BUNGIE got bought by Microsoft in 2000, and now has its offices deep in the heart of Redmond (One Microsoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052), which leads me to think a DreamWorks/Microsoft collaboration could easily be "hidden" within a smaller MSoft subsidiary...

("Bungie Software was formed in Chicago in 1991 and was acquired by Microsoft in 2000. We are now based in Redmond, WA, and are a separate and entirely independent studio within Microsoft's Action and Strategy group. We are dedicated to the production of outstanding, immersive electronic games that surpass the boundaries of conventional technology.")

(You seem to be based in TN, which apparently shoots a wee little hole in my theory, but I can forgive that.)

...and your middle name(s) being LEWIS CARROLL would go far in explaining all the odd "Alice in Wonderland" references scattered throughout the "A.I." game....

If you _are_ involved in all this -- well, first, let me congratulate you; this entire project simply rocks -- then I'm sure you've signed dozens of non-disclosure forms and documents that swear you to secrecy....

...but let me know if you're willing to comment on the record about any of it 'fore I go off and write my tale...

(At the very least, perhaps you could throw me something -- anything -- that'd let me know if I'm way, WAY off base...?)

Or perhaps there's someone else you want to kick this letter to?

Doug himself, perhaps?

Regardless, thanks in advance....

j.

P.S. -- I suppose I ought to allow for the possibility that I'm right about Doug and _wrong_ about you.....

...I just don't know how to handle that, since I'll be inadvertently letting you in on a very big secret....

----------
Date: Sun, May 6, 2001 at 2:04 PM
To: Joshua Weinberger

Joshua:

[...]

My suggestion: talk to Hamish - he LOVES this kind of stuff!

[...]

-m

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Consipracy Theory, AI the Movie, & Zartmanpoenadare 12/8/11 8:49 a.m.
     Re: Consipracy Theory, AI the Movie, & ZartmanGodot 12/8/11 9:08 a.m.
           Re: Consipracy...poenadare 12/8/11 9:47 a.m.
     Nathan Ellery Bitnerpoenadare 12/9/11 11:59 a.m.
           Re: Nathan Ellery BitnerGodot 12/9/11 1:59 p.m.
                 Re: Nathan Ellery Bitnerpoenadare 12/9/11 4:39 p.m.
     Things to Readpoenadare 12/13/11 9:15 a.m.
           Re: Things to ReadGodot 12/13/11 9:44 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.