/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re the Re: Elements 2 Beta
Posted By: DispatcherDate: 6/1/09 5:10 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Elements 2 Beta (Fire Angel)

: Nicely done, I have a few suggestions.

: I played through them all, but only in solo mode as I don't have a network
: play option at the moment (long story, boring, won't bother with it here).

: So I'd like to see these levels have lots more enemies so they make better
: solo play levels. Most of them have one or two enemies which respawn and
: nothing else to kill. :( I'd liek to see lots of non-respawning and maybe
: the respawning one or two still retained. I couldn't find a way to reach
: the Jjarro style level except by the cheating method.

Thank you for playing it. Glad you like the levels.

Are you using a Mac or PC to play A1? I'm curious as to how the engine handles the maps in either platform.

As to the latter comment, Both the Jjarro and Pfhor levels are only accessible by using the Command-Option-Click method in order to allow Marathon 2: Durandal users to play nethop style without crashing the game during gameplay. This is due to the presence of the Jjarro texture set and the SMG weapon.

As to the former observation, I too had no viable network connection options when I made the levels. I put Bobs and aliens in the levels largely to allow some kind of play testing. Shooting Bobs and then playing against them mimicked netplay to an extent. The quantity, frequency and lethality of the non-player entities increases with harder player skill level settings. I left the critters in the levels since net hosters can check whether or not to include them in the hosting settings. You might adjust the difficulty level of the game and see how that works for you. I'm of the opinion that adjusting the levels for solo play would not yield a much more favorable experience for players.

Each level has its pros and cons; layout styles and sizes to accommodate various netplay preferences and group sizes. Each also has at least one secret. :-)

If you search the Fileball site for the keyword "Dispatcher" you will find (most) all my other maps and files. Some of them are simply demos for platforms, sounds, aliens and Bobs, map types; that sort of thing. Even so, they might be fun for solo or netplay; at least I tried to make them interesting.

My best work was made for use with the Tempus Irae flavor of the game. If you grab and play "Mare Ceti" and "Imperium" I guarantee that you will be kept busy for a while in solo play. If you are unable to get Tempus Irae, my "Dispatch Map" is the Infinity level which the TI version "Mare Ceti" was based on. Some people like the Infinity version better but most would agree with me that the TI one is better.

Thanks again for your input; its always welcome.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Elements 2 Beta *LINK*Dispatcher 5/29/09 5:00 p.m.
     Re: Elements 2 BetaFire Angel 6/1/09 10:45 a.m.
           Re the Re: Elements 2 BetaDispatcher 6/1/09 5:10 p.m.
                 ... and ...Dispatcher 6/1/09 5:15 p.m.
                 Re: Re the Re: Elements 2 Betatreellama 6/2/09 4:28 a.m.
                       ray has hosted 5d space *NM*thermoplyae 6/2/09 10:47 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.