/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Current Legality of Shapes File Distribution?
Posted By: treellamaDate: 12/2/08 5:36 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Current Legality of Shapes File Distribution? (Robtot)

: So, (excuse my while I venture into complete lack of real knowledge town),
: the only way to avoid the legality debate altogether would be to develop a
: new style of shapes file, and have Aleph One also reflect those changes?

That would be a solution of last resort, if Bungie were to suddenly become unreasonable about allowing files in those formats to be distributed.

: I'm assuming it isn't jut a simple matter of developing a header as it'd
: end up pretty much the same as what Bungie had in their originally?

I'm dubious that they can claim copyright over the header to start with, since the values in it vary based on the file's contents. Even if they were to do so, simply re-arranging a few things would suffice. Copyright protects an expression of an idea, not the idea itself.

Now, if they were to have a patent on "method of indexing the contents of a map file" or some nonsense like that, it would be a different story, because the patent system is so totally broken there's no way to know what will pass muster. I'll just get a different hobby if that happens.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Current Legality of Shapes File Distribution? *LINK*Rabbit 11/29/08 2:56 p.m.
     Re: Current Legality of Shapes File Distribution?thermoplyae 11/29/08 10:33 p.m.
     Re: Current Legality of Shapes File Distribution?Forrest of B.org 11/30/08 12:16 p.m.
           What Forrest saidBob-B-Q 11/30/08 12:32 p.m.
                 On a similar theme of things Aleph OneRobtot 12/1/08 5:40 a.m.
                       Re: On a similar theme of things Aleph OneAndrew Nagy 12/1/08 8:08 a.m.
                             Re: On a similar theme of things Aleph Onetreellama 12/1/08 8:52 a.m.
                       Re: On a similar theme of things Aleph Onetreellama 12/1/08 8:45 a.m.
                             Re: On a similar theme of things Aleph OneRobtot 12/1/08 9:42 p.m.
                                   Re: On a similar theme of things Aleph Onetreellama 12/2/08 5:18 a.m.
                                         Re: On a similar theme of things Aleph OneRobtot 12/2/08 5:40 a.m.
                                               Re: On a similar theme of things Aleph Onetreellama 12/2/08 8:26 a.m.
                                                     Re: On a similar theme of things Aleph OneRobtot 12/2/08 1:45 p.m.
                 Re: What Forrest saidAndrew Nagy 12/1/08 8:11 a.m.
           Re: Current Legality of Shapes File Distribution?Robtot 12/1/08 9:35 p.m.
                 Re: Current Legality of Shapes File Distribution?Forrest of B.org 12/1/08 10:19 p.m.
                       Re: Current Legality of Shapes File Distribution?Robtot 12/1/08 11:37 p.m.
                             Re: Current Legality of Shapes File Distribution?treellama 12/2/08 5:36 a.m.
                                   Developing a Freeware based around Commercial IPRobtot 12/2/08 5:52 a.m.
                                         Re: Developing a Freeware based around CommercialForrest of B.org 12/2/08 2:09 p.m.
           Re: Current Legality of Shapes File Distribution?Rabbit 12/2/08 11:30 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.