/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Eternal X Commentary: "Echoes Of Eden"
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 5/21/08 3:06 a.m.

In Response To: Eternal volunteers: "Echoes of Eden" (pfhore)

CHAPTER 5: ANTIQUITY
(This chapter was invented during the "Anomatica" phase of Eternal's development, around the year 2000, when we decided to work in a Halo connection for the final chapter rather than returning once again to Lh'owon during the W'rkncacnter assault. This chapter was originally scheduled to feature Marathon implementations of the Flood, and actually take place on Halo; prior to Halo's release, a now-former Bungie employee who shall remain nameless had told me an early pre-release version of Halo's plot which was explicitly connected to Marathon, wherein the Forerunners truly were the Jjaro. After Halo's release, when it became clear that this was no longer true, I began reworking the plot of this chapter to be less Halo related, and eventually resorted to involving the W'rkncacnter again; a decision which I am quite happy about as it allows me to harken back to Pathways Into Darkness. Some time in the intermediary period between the explicitly Halo-related plot and the Pathways-related current plot, I had considered involving the "Organics" from Ian McConville's scenario RED as suitable Marathon-related Flood replacements. Prior to the Great Chapter Screen Renaming of 2005ish, this chapter was titled "Jjaro").

Chapter Screen: Marcus stands high upon a ledge and gazes out upon the vast landscape of the interior of the Sphere. His helmet is removed and in his hands; however as he is facing away from the camera, you still cannot see his face.

(The landscape is based on a photo of New Zealand by Ben Oppenheimer.)

Level 41: "Echoes of Eden"

(Created by Andreas Nuyts. The title is the name of the band of my old friend Ben Wigler, who was an early member of the Eternal team back when it was called "Forever More", and also the original director of the defunct scenario project "Rameses". The title is meant to recall the "garden at the beginning of the world" line from the Unformatted KYT Terminal. Previous titles for this level were "Sphere of Annihilation", for the obvious reasons, and "Fifth Floor, Mens' Lingerie", which is part of a callback line involving an elevator from the Rocky Horror Picture Show.)

You teleport in only to find yourself floating in space. Soon thereafter you teleport into a round room of a sleek, unfamiliar design. In this room are rechargers, a pattern buffer, and a terminal:

[L41-T0-Unfinished]

Outside this room is a vast, curvaceous warehouse-like facility. A nearby switch will begin to lower the elevator which is to take you to the end of the level. Banshees, shadowy figures with glowing red eyes stalk the otherwise empty halls, while fusion turrets fire impotently at them. Around the upper floors of this facility are weapons and munitions, and a terminal from Hathor:

[L41-T2-Unfinished]

Upon your return to the elevator, you find that pouring down it are not only more of the shadowy Banshees but also terrifying orange Headless creatures and hideous flying Nightmares, all of whom attack you. They prove more succeptible to your weaponry than the Banshees; and your new Wave Motion Cannon and Gravitronic Blades prove the only thing that can hurt the Banshees. When you reach the top of the elevator you find even more of these strange monsters, pouring in endless hordes into this courtyard with a strangely familiar sky...

Not far away is a safe, lockable room, inside of which is a terminal:

[L41-T1-Unfinished]

You teleport out to Level 42: "The Dead Live In The Catacombs".

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal volunteers: "Echoes of Eden"pfhore 5/21/08 2:25 a.m.
     Eternal X Commentary: "Echoes Of Eden"Forrest of B.org 5/21/08 3:06 a.m.
     Re: Eternal volunteers: "Echoes of Eden"Kevin Jaques 7/22/09 11:54 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.