/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Eternal X Commentary: "Heart of Fusion"
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 5/9/08 9:21 p.m.

In Response To: Eternal volunteers: L.08 to L.10 (pfhore)

Level 09: "Heart Of Fusion"

(Created by Don-Martin Antell. I imagine the name is meant to be similar to "Heart of Gold", nodding to Tycho's noble sacrifice for the greater good, but Don came up with it so maybe I'm way off base. The precedessor to this map was called "Can't TOZT This", a name I'm still fond of, and was originally one of two lava-based levels on the Marathon, along with the former level 2, "Boiler Room". Though in all respects it was a craptacular solo map, I still remember it as being fun somehow, and think it might possibly have made an decent small netmap. It was one of the first maps ever made for Eternal, and in a very, very ancient iteration of the project featured a subplot of SPNKR-toting android Bobs having gone rampant and thus attacking both you and the Pfhor alike. I just wanted to use the SPNKR Bobs my old friend Ben Peterson had made.)

You are elsewhere in the Marathon. Nearby is a very large open area somewhat resembling the exterior of Durandal's core from "Roots and Radicals". On your way to enter the core, it appears the S'pht are trying to do so as well.

[L09-T0-Unfinished]

But eventually you make your way inside - letting the S'pht in with you - where it also resembles Durandal's core, including a terminal.

[L09-T1-Unfinished]

(The comments about the sorry state of repairs nearby and the area being repurposed many times were originally excuses for the craptacular quality of "Can't TOZT This", but without them this terminal would have been even more terse, so I left them in there.)

After you destroy Tycho's core, you are greeted with a surprise at that same terminal.

[L09-T1-Unfinished]

You teleport out to Level 10: "To Sleep Perchance To Dream"

(That "I understand I was to meet a sour end here at Marathon anyway" is one of the oldest lines of dialogue in Eternal, and is meant to nod to the idea that Tycho being destroyed and disappearing with you, as the S'pht come to hack what remains of his core, is not at all at odds with the recorded events of Marathon 1. This level is meant to end slightly before M1's "Defend THIS!", where we first see Tycho being "a~*ssimilated".)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal volunteers: L.08 to L.10pfhore 5/8/08 6:20 a.m.
     Re: Eternal volunteers: L.08 to L.10Forrest of B.org 5/8/08 7:08 p.m.
     Eternal X Commentary: "Core Done Blew"Forrest of B.org 5/9/08 9:18 p.m.
     Eternal X Commentary: "Heart of Fusion"Forrest of B.org 5/9/08 9:21 p.m.
           Re: Eternal X Commentary: "Heart of Fusion"D-M.A 5/25/08 4:34 p.m.
     Eternal X Commentary: "To Sleep Perchance To DreamForrest of B.org 5/9/08 9:31 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.