/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Eternal X Commentary: "Deja Vu All Over Again"
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 5/9/08 8:56 p.m.

In Response To: Volunteers: Eternal "Deja Vu All Over Again" (pfhore)

CHAPTER 1: MEMORY
(Originally this chapter was just called "Marathon").

Chapter Screen: A spacescape, with Tau Ceti, Tau Ceti IV, the Marathon, the Pfhor ship, and some small moon of Tau Ceti IV visible in the distance.

(The image of Tau Ceti IV in this is actually a Photoshopped image of Mars.)

Level 01: "Deja Vu All Over Again"

(Originally created by me; majorly revised by Don-Martin Antell. This level was originally called "Back To The Future", then later renamed to "Deja Vu" and, after its first complete remake from scratch, "Deja Vu All Over Again", which has stuck ever since.)

You teleport into space just above the surface of Marathon, and upon landing immediately transport into a small interior room. Outside that room is a loading bay, inside of which is a terminal.

(That loading bay is the oldest feature of Eternal. It's the first thing I built when I started this project, and I've insisted that it remain more or less intact, even after the level has been built and rebuilt over the years.)

[L01-T0-Unfinished]

Nearby, you find Bobs with pistols shooting at Pfhor who are teleporting in. The Pfhor ship is visible in the distance through a window. Elsewhere nearby, a Compiler is reading a terminal.

[L01-T1-Unfinished]

(Originally, the username in this log was "RBlake", but some people thought that was a little too cheesy, so I changed it to the name of another Robert I used to know, Robert McCollum. This terminal also used to feature a bit more profanity directed at the unknown interloper, especially after the Pfhor EMP hit - note the timestap just after 8:20 AM - but I toned it down based on player feedback. Also note the subtle reference to "one of security's big guns" being on his way up from the colony right now... hmm I wonder who that could be...)

Elsewhere, in what appears to be some sort of personal quarters, with a bed and a big comfy chair, is another random terminal.

(In a much older version, this was supposed to be Bernhard Strauss' quarters, but that was cheesy and unrealistic, so now it's just a rest area adjacent to the munitions test room just downstairs from it.)

[L01-T2-Unfinished]

(In an earlier version of this map, I had the Bobs be against both you and the Pfhor, as the Bobs are implicitly working with Strauss and expecting your arrival, about to do something unknown but undoubtedly nefarious with you. That subplot is still there - Strauss' coup or whatever he had planned was right about to take off, but then, entirely by coincidence *cough* the Pfhor show up and ruin his day - but players found the Bobs being against you to be confusing, so they were made to be wholly preoccupied with the Pfhor. Also note the reference to the munitions that had been stored in the quarantine bay, as per M1's "Blaspheme Quarantine".)

Nearby the circuit breaker you're looking for, in a hallway, is another random terminal.

[L01-T2-Unfinished]

(Note the originating domain on that message, mara.auto.ai.core. You'll see that again later, which makes you wonder just who *cough* is transmitting what to whom in this terminal. In actuality, I believe I took the hex code in there from a copy of the original Marathon app as opened with a hex editor.)

Eventually you find your way to the circuit breaker, and then make your way back to the first terminal as instructed.

[L01-T0-Finished]

(Originally, I had this level set before the initial attack on the Marathon, and this terminal ended abruptly after Hathor's comments that she couldn't be hacked. On the next level it was revealed that the Pfhor EMP attack had hit just then, which is why you end up in the sewers. I don't remember why I changed that; probably just to stick to canon materials more, with the EMP attack preceding any Pfhor presence on board the Marathon. That's kinda borked anyway though, since almost this entire chapter takes place in Engineering, which according to Leela in M1 was one of the last places the Pfhor reached, while this whole chapter takes place prior to the destruction of Tycho, which in M1 had already occurred by "Defend THIS!", the beginning of the second chapter.)

You teleport out to Level 2: "Septococchal Pfhoryngitis".

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteers: Eternal "Deja Vu All Over Again"pfhore 4/30/08 2:52 a.m.
     Re: Volunteers: Eternal "Deja Vu All Over Again"Blake37 4/30/08 10:19 a.m.
     Eternal X Commentary: "Deja Vu All Over Again"Forrest of B.org 5/9/08 8:56 p.m.
     Thought of "Deja Vu All Over Again"pfhore 6/3/08 4:08 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.