/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Volunteers: Eternal "The Far Side Of Nowhere"
Posted By: EldermanDate: 4/29/08 2:45 p.m.

In Response To: Volunteers: Eternal "The Far Side Of Nowhere" (pfhore)

I don't know if there's a community here anymore that can sustain a Volunteers series. Eternal definitely needs some documenting, but judging from past efforts, it takes a critical mass of curious, enthusiastic people with different sources of knowledge to make one of these a success. That said, I think it's a good idea so I'll throw in my 2¢.

I agree the first terminal is a long slog. It's also unique in any Marathon level (I think) because it's a diary entry: the player communicating to himself. And obviously we get a name for the first time. Eternal in general feels quite intimate to me, it's much more about relationships: siblings (metaphorical), soulmates, friends -- and these screens establish that.

The terminal lays out given circumstances: we're in the Marathon universe, we've completed Aye Mak Sicur (Durandal has let us go), and we're on a moon called K'lia, orbiting Earth. I had to reread the terminal several times before I picked up this last point. Since I'm no expert on the narrative details of the trilogy, I'm not sure if K'lia is an invention for Eternal, or whether it's showed up before in the Marathon universe.

Strangely, we the player have also heard or read Infinity's final screen "You Are Destiny". Maybe this is a side effect of our Cybernetic Junction, we dream the future, or alternate realities?

The diary sets a the dramatic tone. The world is in trouble. The aftermath of the Human-Pfhor war has been a disaster and the goal of the scenario will be to set that right.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------

The chronology of the entire scenario confuses me and my confusion starts with this first terminal. Maybe the real problem is that the chronology of Infinity ties my head in knots. The diary mentions a handful of dates and I've tried to make sense of them.

92 years earlier we helped send a message to Earth. Wasn't this Durandal's last act before leaving the Tau Ceti System? How could it have happened as late as 2813? Somehow it brings up thoughts of Leela in the diary, but she was long gone by then.

95 years since the end of Infinity. I have to take this on trust.

Which rounds up to 100 odd years, speaking poetically.

111 years since the attack on the Marathon on July 25, 2794.

And (not quite) 500 years since the launch of the Marathon.

I think that's right. The 92 years gives me trouble.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteers: Eternal "The Far Side Of Nowhere"pfhore 4/28/08 4:30 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers: Eternal "The Far Side Of Nowhere"Elderman 4/29/08 2:45 p.m.
           Re: Volunteers: Eternal "The Far Side Of Nowhere"Forrest of B.org 4/29/08 6:05 p.m.
                 Re: Volunteers: Eternal "The Far Side Of Nowhere"Luke 4/30/08 11:35 a.m.
     Eternal X Commentary: "The Far Side Of Nowhere"Forrest of B.org 5/9/08 8:51 p.m.
           Thought of "The Far Side Of Nowhere"- Ipfhore 6/1/08 2:57 p.m.
                 Re: Thought of "The Far Side Of Nowhere"- IForrest of B.org 6/1/08 8:54 p.m.
                       Re: Thought of "The Far Side Of Nowhere"- Ipfhore 6/2/08 12:03 a.m.
                             Re: Thought of "The Far Side Of Nowhere"- IForrest of B.org 6/2/08 1:06 a.m.
           Re: Thought of "The Far Side Of Nowhere"- IIpfhore 6/2/08 1:24 a.m.
           Re: Eternal X Commentary: "The Far Side Of NowhereDeath Angel 9/6/12 3:15 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Commentary: "The Far Side Of NowhereForrest of B.org 9/6/12 9:36 p.m.
                       Marathon Terminal PDF BooksGrimCleaver 9/6/12 11:54 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon Terminal PDF BooksGrimCleaver 9/7/12 12:32 a.m.
                                   Homer Simpson moment ;) *NM*Godot 9/7/12 3:40 a.m.
                       Re: Eternal X Commentary: "The Far Side Of NowhereDeath Angel 9/7/12 5:06 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.