/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: not every multidimensional object is a hypercu
Posted By: thermoplyaeDate: 4/28/08 8:25 a.m.

In Response To: Re: not every multidimensional object is a hypercu (Nicholai)

: but the unique multi-layering of marathon works more or less like an
: hypercube doesn't it?

Not really, no. A good description would be, I think, a 3-manifold immersed in R^4 with a self-intersecting projection down to R^3 (whereas a hypercube is a 4-manifold, a serious difference), but that description would likely bother a physicist some. Though that in turn might be best described as "Marathon does not make much sense physically," as there are more than a few confusing things about its physics.

: But now that I come to think of it, a Marathon Cube scenario would be very
: difficult to do. In the Cube movie they state that the cube is 26x26x26
: rooms which makes 17 thousand rooms. A marathon Cube scenario would have
: 17 thousand levels! (if you make a level per room). Although the levels
: would be very simple... it would be just for the sake of maths to play
: such a scenario.

A level per room would likely be the most sensible thing to do; Cube 2's cube's geometry doesn't lend itself well to being used in the Marathon engine. Cube's cube's platforms don't really either. Segmenting the cube into levels would let you use some ridiculous amount of Lua to control the state space.

Not that it would be any fun. "I dropped into a room and a platform crushed me for no good reason!" is not an enjoyable scenario. Scenario that make you compute the prime factorizations of numbers probably isn't much fun either.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

So 5-d in marathon is an hypercube actually?Nicholai 4/27/08 7:45 p.m.
     not every multidimensional object is a hypercube *NM*thermoplyae 4/27/08 10:26 p.m.
           liez! *NM*Johannes Gunnar 4/27/08 10:51 p.m.
                 so you actually think marathon can be a hypercube? *NM*Nicholai 4/30/08 7:48 p.m.
           Re: not every multidimensional object is a hypercuNicholai 4/28/08 6:16 a.m.
                 Re: not every multidimensional object is a hypercuthermoplyae 4/28/08 8:25 a.m.
                       Re: not every multidimensional object is a hypercuMrHen 4/29/08 7:04 a.m.
                             Re: not every multidimensional object is a hypercuNicholai 4/29/08 7:22 p.m.
                                   Re: not every multidimensional object is a hypercuMrHen 4/30/08 5:33 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.