/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eternally Perplexing Questions
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 3/12/08 11:19 a.m.

In Response To: Eternally Perplexing Questions (rampancy)

: 1) So, the way I'm getting it, when the Jjarro sphere went into stasis, it
: trapped all of the various monsters inside - did it trap the W'rkncacntr
: inside as well?

Boss is gone for a second so I'll try to answer this quickly:

In an earlier version of Eternal the monsters were not W'rkncacnter dreams, and so did not rely on there being a waking W'rkncacnter around to sustain them.

Since changing them to W'rkncacnter dreams I realized that there was this plot hole now; as soon as the Sphere activated, and the W'rk got knocked out, all the monsters inside should have instantly vanished.

The closest thing to an excuse I can think of is that whatever sort of shields the Sphere had (which Hathor sabotaged) which somehow kept the W'rk dreams out even against the will of a waking W'rk can also sustain such creatures within the Sphere in the absence of one. Though there's a bit of a plot hole there too, inasmuch as that level of meta-reality-manipulation would require tech on the level of a Cybernetic Junction at least, which hadn't been invented at that point.

I think I rewrote a bit (on "We Met Once In The Garden" IIRC) to imply that if the dreams got outside the Sphere, their presence in normal space would reawaken the W'rkncacnter which created them, or at least give it power outside of the gravity field it is now contained within (our sun). That's why it was so important to keep them from capturing the landed Pfhor ship and leaving the Sphere. I suppose that same explanation would explain the continued existence of the dreams inside the Sphere; they were frozen in time inside the Sphere for 65 million year and then when they were unfrozen the W'rk outside was awake (but now imprisoned), and they were sustained by him.

Maybe the Sphere shields are just some kind of artificial gravitic shear, like the Gravitronic Blades use, which prevents any kind of manipulation or perception through them, an artificial event horizon sealing the inside off from the outside. Which is why Leela couldn't scan through to you either. But if the W'rk dreams should get outside, the W'rk will be able to perceive the rest of the universe through their eyes and effectively be free again despite the imprisonment of his own physical form. (A W'rk and his dreams are of course connected extra-spatially, through the Outside).

Ok, that sounds like an explanation to me. Gravitic shielding, temporal stasis... it all works out.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternally Perplexing Questionsrampancy 3/11/08 12:34 p.m.
     Re: Eternally Perplexing QuestionsForrest of B.org 3/11/08 3:54 p.m.
           Re: Eternally Perplexing Questionsrampancy 3/11/08 5:31 p.m.
                 Re: Eternally Perplexing QuestionsForrest of B.org 3/12/08 7:56 a.m.
                       Re: Eternally Perplexing Questionsrampancy 3/12/08 9:06 a.m.
                             Re: Eternally Perplexing QuestionsForrest of B.org 3/12/08 10:34 a.m.
                                   Re: Eternally Perplexing QuestionsForrest of B.org 3/12/08 2:20 p.m.
                                   Re: Eternally Perplexing Questionsrampancy 3/12/08 4:33 p.m.
                                         Re: Eternally Perplexing QuestionsForrest of B.org 3/13/08 7:54 a.m.
     Re: Eternally Perplexing QuestionsForrest of B.org 3/12/08 11:19 a.m.
           Re: Eternally Perplexing Questionsrampancy 3/12/08 4:37 p.m.
                 Re: Eternally Perplexing QuestionsForrest of B.org 3/13/08 8:25 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.