/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Oops, I did it again (or: more Eternal help, p
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 2/18/08 3:06 p.m.

In Response To: Oops, I did it again (or: more Eternal help, plz.) (rampancy)

: Who knew that bringing the S'pht Kr back would have led to the W'rkncacnter
: being released?

Anyone who's played through Marathon 2 and the Infinity prologue. :-)

Author's note: there's a bit of possible plot weakness here, because if you note the original trilogy timeline on the MSP, the S'pht'Kr have been on K'lia for a thousand years by the time the Pfhor arrive... but K'lia has been in orbit around Lh'owon still, right up until that very same year. It's unclear whether the S'pht'Kr left and then the Pfhor arrived just by coincidence, whether K'lia was "sent to the stars" by Yrro as per S'pht myth because he knew the Pfhor were coming, or whether the S'pht'Kr fled the Pfhor invasion on K'lia. If the latter, my whole plot here breaks down, since why would they flee if they could kick Pfhor ass already? And if either of the former... it's still a little weird that K'lia would leave and then immediately be recalled again.

And there's still the question of whether, in that case, the S'pht'Kr would have been able to kick Pfhor ass already; but seeing as how the S'pht below have had a thousand years of dark ages and civil war while the S'pht'Kr have been all alone on their own private moon with some fancy Jjaro technology to study, I think it's a safe bet that they were already advanced enough to kick Pfhor ass, if they had been present to do so at the time.

I think the best interpretation is that Yrro sent K'lia away because he knew what would happen if the Pfhor invasion was repelled by the S'pht'Kr; and then you had to go call them back and ruin all that.

: Really, you think the Jjaro would have been more sensible
: with their WMD.

Interesting little foreshadowing here: much later in Eternal, you encounter a primitive Jjaro AI who refers to the trih xeem as a "nova research device". To the ancient Jjaro it was a bit of experimental apparatus, like a particle accelerator; usable as a weapon, sure, but against who? The ancient Jjaro had no enemies, except the one, and blowing up stars doesn't hurt them much.

(Oh goddamnit, I just realized another plot weakness... I've got the trih xeem on a ship that just happened to be in a star system that the Jjaro would never consider performing "nova research" on. Grr).

And the Jjaro didn't just leave a bunch of trih xeems lying around. The Pfhor found a couple and reverse-engineered them, like all their other technology.

: I suck - I just can't make it through "The Manipulated Dead". What
: level do I have to do over again to get to the right path? (And what do I
: have to do on that level differently?)

"S'pht Happens" is the branch level, and you just have to find a different terminal in order to exit. (The path illuminates the color green, leave white black in darkness... seek the one who knows you, not the one who knows all...) Hint: a dam may block the path of a river, but it clears the path to your victory.

I'd really recommend getting to the end of Manipulated Dead, though; Yoss's terminals are some of the best writing in the game. Just run like fsck... you can't fight them. Take the same path you've taken before and just run, run, run. When you reach the end they won't be able to get you anymore.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Oops, I did it again (or: more Eternal help, plz.)rampancy 2/18/08 11:52 a.m.
     Re: Oops, I did it again (or: more Eternal help, pForrest of B.org 2/18/08 3:06 p.m.
           Re: Oops, I did it again (or: more Eternal help, prampancy 2/18/08 4:56 p.m.
                 Re: Oops, I did it again (or: more Eternal help, pForrest of B.org 2/18/08 8:29 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.