/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: A question about Roots and Radicals (SPOILER)
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 2/18/08 9:03 a.m.

In Response To: Re: A question about Roots and Radicals (SPOILER) (rampancy)

: Heh, I should see that part again...

: I also understand that it's a limit of the amount of work/time you have and
: possibly the engine - does Aleph One allow for a different ending to a
: mission depending on whether or not you have an uplink chip?

Hmm. I don't think you could do it based on whether or not you *have* a chip. Though I imagine I could probably hack up some Lua script such that upon pickup of the chip a repair switch somewhere is automagically activated and *that* marks the mission as completed.

: I dunno, I think it's a valid assumption. I suppose I'm thinking about this
: in the wrong way - after romping through Squadron (I'm going to finish my
: Volunteers section, I promise!) and going through RX's Tycho plank, I
: thought it was so cool to actually explore all possibilities to a
: scenario, at least within the reasonable confines of the storyline. I'd
: love to actually do a storyline where you actually do side with Hathor,
: and she actually does betray you in the end, only to be surprised along
: with Durandal when they find out - at the last minute - that you actually
: could figure out how to use your cybernetic junction after all, and in
: ways they never thought possible (since that's pretty much what we did in
: Infinity).

Hmm, well there are two things here... one is that the doom Durandal predicts is not that Hathor will betray you, but that her vengeance will never, ever be satisfied, and she'll just keep sending you to kill humanity over and over, and eventually you'll just go "wtf?" and quit, at which point she'll just go away since she can't do anything to you and can't do anything without you. So that timeline would be very uninteresting after a while and only end when the player got bored and refused to play anymore.

The other thing is that in my interpretation of Infinity, you weren't using your junction yourself; it was Thoth sending you back every time. Even in Eternal, you never quite figure it out yourself; [SPOILER WARNING] during the dream between Ch4 and Ch5, your jump is merely redirected by Durandal to somewhere other than where Leela was trying to send you. (Oddly this is familiar to you, as if from an old dream...). Hathor just assumed you jumped on your own since nobody accompanied you there. [/SPOILER]

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

A question about Roots and Radicals (SPOILER)rampancy 2/15/08 6:38 p.m.
     Re: A question about Roots and Radicals (SPOILER)Forrest of B.org 2/16/08 7:02 p.m.
           Re: A question about Roots and Radicals (SPOILER)rampancy 2/17/08 8:38 a.m.
                 Re: A question about Roots and Radicals (SPOILER)Forrest of B.org 2/17/08 12:58 p.m.
                       Re: A question about Roots and Radicals (SPOILER)rampancy 2/18/08 5:00 a.m.
                             Re: A question about Roots and Radicals (SPOILER)Forrest of B.org 2/18/08 9:03 a.m.
                                   Re: A question about Roots and Radicals (SPOILER)rampancy 2/18/08 10:09 a.m.
                                         Re: A question about Roots and Radicals (SPOILER)Forrest of B.org 2/18/08 2:40 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.