/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

The woman in the KYT terminal
Posted By: MrHenDate: 2/11/08 5:11 p.m.

I was skimming through the Story Page material looking for things to add to the wiki and something dawned on me. The following is just rambling and thinking out loud. Join in if you wish. :)

There was some speculation as to who the woman in the KYT text is:

she has been nameless since our birth; a constant adversary, caring for nothing but my ruin, a sword drenched in my blood; forever my greatest and only love. she is the dark one; the enemy and lover without whom my very existence would be pathetic and vulgar. her eyes steam and boil in the night (she is fantastically beautiful yet i cannot stand the sight of her). our relationship is complex and perhaps eternal.

The bit about her being a sword made me wonder if she is the weapon that the hero brandishes. This seems to make sense with the rest of the text: without her the hero's existence would be pathetic and vulgar. She is generally the destructive power: she devoured the lawn and trees, tore flagstones from the path, and splintered an ancient oak.

Yet, at the same time, the hero seems connected to what is happening. He is the one who chose to powder a granite monument and their reunions there are epic battles fought without quarter. After she tore the flagstones, she hurled them into the sky screaming my sins. Does this mean the flagstones blame the hero for what is done?

A weapon that eventually fells the hero? The Strauss/Durandal relationship fits with this imagery. So do the Durandal/You, Pfhor/Tycho, Pfhor/S'pht relationships. Nearly every slave in the Marathon series eventually destroys its master.

A big hole in this theory are mostly the reference to the reunions occurring there, which I am assuming is the garden, at the beginning of the world. If the destruction simply resulted in any reunion it would fit with the hero/sword analogy: when the hero picked up the sword again, destruction rained.

Comparisons to the Infinity ending screen are notable.
Once I thought to escape. To end the end a master, step out of the path of collapse. Escape would make us God. Yet I cannot help remember one enigma. An hybrid, elusive destroyer. This the only mystery I have not solved. The only element unaccounted for.

(A side note: is tearing flagstones from a path considered eating it?)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.